Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intro Story:

I was recently hired as an exploration geologist with a start-up company. One of the best ways to get around in the field is with their 2014 Polaris Ranger 800 6x6. About a month ago two co-workers were driving the 6x6 as usual when it began to bog down, sputter and die (this is all the information they gave me). They were able to mount it onto the trailer with the winch and get it back to the office for inspection. The soonest appointment they could get with any ATV or UTV shop within a 5-hour radius is 6 months from now. Being the most mechanically minded employee in the company (somehow), they asked if I could get the 6x6 running again. They have basically given me a carte blanche to get it running again to get back into the field sooner than 6 months, but no stress if not able to get it running

Thanks for reading the intro, now into the details.
At first the engine would crank with no start, but would eventually start with a little bit of throttle and then continue to run with throttle (though only up to 5mph), and would die if left to idle.
I have done everything the service manual recommends, including:
1. new fuel pump (fuel pressure is now perfect at 58psi)
2. new spark plugs (according to the manual, and gapped correctly)
3. new fuel injectors (if it sounds like I'm throwing parts at it, I literally am because they told me to)
4. new air filter
5. cleaned air filter box and all hoses
6. cleaned throttle body and all associated sensors
7. siphoned out old fuel and cleaned fuel tank, replenished with fresh fuel with correct octane.
8. used a stethoscope to listen to fuel injectors to make sure they were firing correctly

After all that, engine will again crank with no start. It will sometimes start with little throttle and continue to sluggishly run (though there is almost no response when given more throttle) and will die instantly once throttle is released.

Of note: I have tried starting it with TPS unplugged, MAP sensor unplugged (after it had been cleaned), and have checked for spark in the plugs. The spark plug wires are up to spec (7k Ohms) and the ignition coil is up to spec (0.4 ohms). The IAC also has the correct voltage and has been cleaned, and I can hear it moving when cranked and turned off.
Interesting but crucial detail is during one moment I removed the PTO side spark plug to test for spark (fuel pump relay was momentarily removed to prevent fuel from spraying out of the open cylinder) and when I cranked the engine, the spark plug sparked correctly and the engine actually started and held for a few seconds with the spark plug removed (don't really know why that happened?).

I have not tested for compression yet, nor the timing. I am not a professional by any means and would really love any suggestions that are thrown my way from others much more mechanically inclined than I. Thanks!

· Registered
2 Posts
Intro Story:

I was recently hired as an exploration geologist with a start-up company. One of the best ways to get around in the field is with their 2014 Polaris Ranger 800 6x6. About a month ago two co-workers were driving the 6x6 as usual when it began to bog down, sputter and die (this is all the information they gave me). They were able to mount it onto the trailer with the winch and get it back to the office for inspection. The soonest appointment they could get with any ATV or UTV shop within a 5-hour radius is 6 months from now. Being the most mechanically minded employee in the company (somehow), they asked if I could get the 6x6 running again. They have basically given me a carte blanche to get it running again to get back into the field sooner than 6 months, but no stress if not able to get it running

Thanks for reading the intro, now into the details.
At first the engine would crank with no start, but would eventually start with a little bit of throttle and then continue to run with throttle (though only up to 5mph), and would die if left to idle.
I have done everything the service manual recommends, including:
1. new fuel pump (fuel pressure is now perfect at 58psi)
2. new spark plugs (according to the manual, and gapped correctly)
3. new fuel injectors (if it sounds like I'm throwing parts at it, I literally am because they told me to)
4. new air filter
5. cleaned air filter box and all hoses
6. cleaned throttle body and all associated sensors
7. siphoned out old fuel and cleaned fuel tank, replenished with fresh fuel with correct octane.
8. used a stethoscope to listen to fuel injectors to make sure they were firing correctly

After all that, engine will again crank with no start. It will sometimes start with little throttle and continue to sluggishly run (though there is almost no response when given more throttle) and will die instantly once throttle is released.

Of note: I have tried starting it with TPS unplugged, MAP sensor unplugged (after it had been cleaned), and have checked for spark in the plugs. The spark plug wires are up to spec (7k Ohms) and the ignition coil is up to spec (0.4 ohms). The IAC also has the correct voltage and has been cleaned, and I can hear it moving when cranked and turned off.
Interesting but crucial detail is during one moment I removed the PTO side spark plug to test for spark (fuel pump relay was momentarily removed to prevent fuel from spraying out of the open cylinder) and when I cranked the engine, the spark plug sparked correctly and the engine actually started and held for a few seconds with the spark plug removed (don't really know why that happened?).

I have not tested for compression yet, nor the timing. I am not a professional by any means and would really love any suggestions that are thrown my way from others much more mechanically inclined than I. Thanks!

I have a VERY similar issue on my 13 Ranger 800 EFI, were you able to determine what the situation was? I am looking into CPS or my TPS, and im just trying to determine which one to spend my time at first

1 - 4 of 4 Posts