Polaris Ranger Forum banner

2014 Polaris Ranger 900 xp bent valves

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  UpNorth2 
#1 ·
A buddy brought this to me the other day. He said it just quit running. No compression. Removed the intake and all the intake valves were stuck open. Removed the head. All intake valves were bent. Ordered new valves, gaskets and new chain tensioner from partzilla.com. Supposed to be OE. Put it all together, correctly, primed and installed the new tensioner. Cranked a little to get oil pressure up. Fired it up and it ran great. Next morning as soon as I cranked it I heard something. Sounded like the chain jumped. Wouldn't start. No compression. Removed the intake, all the intake valves bent again. Removed the hydraulic chain tensioner and it was soft. No hydraulic pressure on it at all. Just the pressure from the small spring inside. My question is... should the tensioner hold hydraulic pressure on the chain all the time or is it normal that it would bleed if overnight? The small amount of pressure from the spring alone does not seem to be enough to keep the chain from jumping time. I should have followed my gut instinct and installed a manual adjuster the first time. Am I missing something or did I just get a bad tensioner?

#2 ·
You need to install an aftermarket manual or ratchet tensioner.
That hydraulic tensioner is a common problem. Some never have a problem but lots do.
Polaris redesigned the cylinder in 2017 and now uses a ratcheting design but the Polaris one won't fit the older cylinder.
I don't know which one to get but a search might come up with a solution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.