Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I recently got a used Polaris Ranger 570, and I’ve noticed if I let off the gas going down a hill, after about 5-10 seconds, it kicks out of gear or free wheels. Is this normal? It’s kind of annoying imo, since you have to hold your brake so much more. Also, is it bad to leave it in 2wd Diff Lock? I have turf mode, but like to keep it in diff lock because I climb some pretty steep hills frequently. Is it bad to engage/disengage diff lock/4wd while moving or in a pull?

·
Super Moderator
2,413 Posts
Yes, the free wheeling is normal in non EBS models. You can keep the clutch engaged by blipping the throttle as it it starts to kick out. You have to do this repeatedly on a longer hill. This is known as the Polaris two step, using your left foot on the brake and your right on the accelerator. This takes some practice but it works.
Yes you can leave it in any range indefinitely including AWD.
According to Polaris you need to be stopped to engage 2WD from Turf Mode but I do it at low speeds 5 mph or less by letting off the accelerator while moving in a straight line. Same when I shift to Turf Mode. If you are in a turn you need to stop before you shift.
You need to let off the accelerator before you push the AWD button and you can do that at any speed, but the AWD won't engage until the engine speed drops below 3100 RPM. You can go from AWD to 2WD any time but if it is under a load it might not disengage AWD until you let off the accelerator.
Basically always let off the accelerator to engage a different mode, stopped or low speeds for Turf-2WD, and in and out of AWD at any speed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Glad to know it’s normal! I was just wondering, because I would’ve thought that you’d want it to stay in gear going down a long hill... especially in low. I’m new to this though! Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts