Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I disconnected my 2015 Ranger battery the other day to remove my winch and front bumper to clean behind it. I cleaned everything and went to put my bumper and connect my winch back and now my ranger won’t start. I didn’t disconnect or change anything else besides the battery and winch. I went to start my ranger and I just get a loud buzzing noise coming from my EFI relay with my check engine light on. It won’t crank or try to turn over at all. I checked my battery and I am getting 13.5 Volts. I just replaced the battery 1 month ago so I don’t think the issue is there.

I’ve tried disconnecting the winch to bypass it but it did the same thing so am pretty sure it’s not the winch. I didn’t spray any water underneath the hood where it could’ve gotten something wet I don’t believe.

I just don’t know what could’ve happened when I unhooked the battery and winch to have caused this problem? Any recommendations on something to try next?

·
Registered
2021 Camo 1000 XP
76 Posts
Are you sure you have good battery connection? It needs to be clean lead against clean lead on the terminals. Check the voltage somewhere upstream with the key on and then while trying to start the machine. The terminal block under the hood would be good if you have it wired. I had a similar issue on my 15 on the backside of the farm. It took me about an hour to figure out it was the battery connection. Being you just had yours off that is where I would start.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rechecked the battery connections and even took them off to clean with a wire brush but still had no change. I went through and checked the grounds as well to make sure there were no loose wire or bad connections but no luck.

Am at the point now thinking either: 1) the battery has a bad cell (not sure if it would cause these symptoms?) or 2) possibly my voltage regulator has gone bad?

I am not sure if either of those would cause this to happen but am just at a loss of what else to try.

·
Registered
2021 Camo 1000 XP
76 Posts
With 13.5 volts on a new battery you should be able to start the machine even without the voltage regulator plugged in.

I would try jump starting the machine. If it cranks or not that would eliminate a lot of variables either way.

Also does the winch work?

·
Registered
2020 Ranger 570 Full Size Crew, OEM top, aftermarket front and rear windshields, Maxxis Ceros tires.
268 Posts
Did you clean the battery cables at the battery connection point or both ends of the cables? Where they connect to the battery....and the other end of the cables.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Did you check the brake switch plug ?
With the key on , press the brake pedal , are the brake lights working ? Sounds like a brake switch problem .

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried to jumpstart it with the voltage regulator connected and it did the same thing (EFI relay buzzing and check engine light on). I disconnected the voltage regulator and tried to jumpstart it and there was no EFI relay buzzing noise and the check engine light went away. I cranked it to try to start it but it just kept cranking and did not start. That’s the first time it has tried to start with everything I have tried up to this point.

Does this mean the regulator is the problem or is it the battery? Not sure why I wasn’t able to get it to start after cranking it either? Usually it starts right up before all this happened.

Also the winch, lights and everything else are not working either. The lights flicker like they are trying to work but it’s like there isn’t enough voltage to keep everything up and running.

·
Registered
2021 Camo 1000 XP
76 Posts
Hopefully somebody more knowledgable than myself will come along.

The dead winch and lights flickering tells me it could be either the battery connections or the battery itself. You checked the connections and wiring so you should be good there. The winch needs nothing special other than a 12 volt circuit to run. You could have the battery load tested. I'm not sure where you got it but most auto parts stores can do this for you if you bring it in. What battery are you using? How about a pic with the battery terminals installed.

I am totally lost as to why it would crank with the voltage reg disconnected but would not crank when connected. Working on my 15 900xp I could disconnect the regulator and start it without issues and check the stator. The regulator should see zero activity until the engines turns and only then should it see AC voltage in from the stator and DC voltage out. Maybe it is shorted and causing some gremlins to come alive? It is fairly easy to check the voltage regulator though. I can link some videos if you are unfamiliar.

I can say that on my old machine the voltage regulator did go bad which eventually killed my oem battery. When I put a jump pack on it to load it on my trailer it too would crank but I could not get it to start either. Ended up rolling it onto the trailer to bring it home. While the voltage regulator was bad the battery was the reason it would not start though. Put in an Odyssey 1200 and it fired right up again. I didn't realize the regulator was bad until I checked voltage with the odyssey at idle at 12.6 volts and it dropped with the more stuff I turned on.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Are you sure it's the voltage regulator you're unplugging ?

There is no way the v-r whether plugged in or not would effect the starter .

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the battery tested today and it came back good. I again rechecked and cleaned the terminals but no change at all. I bought a new voltage regulator to try but it did not make a difference. (Still don’t understand why it cranks with the voltage regulator unplugged when trying to jump it but does nothing when plugged in?)

I have attached a few images of my battery and battery terminals connected.
5B582C55-E3EA-4DC7-B79C-ED7CEE42856F.jpeg
D6D57BD0-89AB-49FD-9590-7734347E8624.jpeg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also not sure if this could be related at all but when I had the battery disconnected, I put my ranger in neutral to push it around my garage. When I put the battery back in, now my gear selector on my instrument cluster only shows two dotted lines with the key in the on position. I could be mistaken, but I always believe before it would show my gear position even with the ranger not started? Can anyone attest to this or is this normal? I have attached a picture showing my instrument cluster below with the dotted lines and the check engine light on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You mean did I hook up red to negative and black to positive or hook up the negative and then the positive? I for sure didn’t connect them backwards. I do remember after I connected the positive then negative terminals, I went back to slightly adjust the positive terminal with the negative still connected and heard a little spark. Nothing more than that though. And I checked my in line fuse as well as my other fuses by my relays with none being blown.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They are very dim compared to normal but they do both light up when I press the brake pedal with the key in the on position. (I’m assuming that’s what you are asking?) not sure what the starter interlock test is.0

·
Registered
184 Posts
The brake pedal needs to be held to start , if your brake lights are dim the switch isn't making good contact and not enough power for the starter solenoid - jumper the two wires at the brake switch and it'll start . :)

The switch is on the brake line coming off the master cylinder .

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hope you are right. I’m going to maybe need some help locating the brake switch as well as knowing what you mean by jumping the two wires?

Does it make sense that all my lights are dim or don’t come on if the brake switch connection is bad? That’s why I wasn’t sure it was the brake switch since my headlights don’t work and all my electrical stuff seems to just flicker when I turn the key on?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts