Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a lot of help i'm afraid. I did an oil change on my 2015 Polaris Ranger 900 XP. I followed the directions to the letter and got it done. I then also while I was working on the Ranger decided to install some flood lights as well. I ended up putting four on the roof back bar and also put four on the roof front bar. I ran the four back lights to a switch on the dash and the four front lights to another switch on the dash. I ran these so that i can turn them on even with the key turned off. The lights all work fine and turn on without a problem. Here is where it gets interesting. When I start the Ranger it will start up like it always has, but after about 30 to 45 seconds it just shuts off. If i wait about 15 seconds I can then turn it on again and it will run but again about 30 to 45 seconds later it just turns off. when it shuts off i can hear clicks and what sounds like the fuel pump still pumping. There is no display on the dash at all it is blank. i have checked and there is plenty of fuel being pumped. I have checked all the fuses as well that i can find and they all look good. I'm at a loss as to why it won't stay running. I really need to get it working again as i live on an acreage and it is the only thing i have to get work done around the property. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone needs more information please let me know and i'll do my best to get the answer out. Please, Please I need some help!!
Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Make sure you didn't half way wiggle out the harness going into the back of your gauge cluster or anything then follow all the connections down anywhere near where you ran wire. Sounds like you wired the lights separate from any part of the system instead of splicing into any live wires on the factory harness so you may have a separate issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check that connection. I will say that i tried to splice into the wire in the ignition so that when you turned on the key it would turn two little lights in the cab on. That didn't work the way i liked to i ended up wiring those lights to a switch on the dash like the others. they now work. I will double check my reconnect of the ignition wire as well. maybe that is not good as well. Thanks for the heads up!! i'll keep you informed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i double checked the harness was connected tight. I also redid the splice and shrunk wrapped the connection. It starts up great but even if i'm giving it gas it doesn't stay running longer than 15 to 20 seconds still.

·
Registered
76 Posts
No insinuating anything friend...just helping think it thru.

Did you remove the celethane topping on the new oil filter?...get correct amount of oil added?... ....just wondering if some sort of issue occurred during oil swap.

Did ya fuse the lighting wires?...if so, try pulling all lighting fuses and see of she runs. Just wondering if theres some kind of short. What kind of lights and amp pull? Is it doing this with lights turned off?

Is battery strong? ... and...connections at bttry good. May be worth removing battery and having it load tested.

Just throwing out some food for thought

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good Morning -

No worries on the questions. it never hurts to ask.... I did make sure there was nothing on the oil filter before i installed it. I did use the correct amount of oil.
I did not fuse the lighting wires. I installed 8 LED Work Lights(4 facing front and 4 facing back). Each light has 5 LED's in them. Each light draws 1 AMP and 10-30 volts. I also put in two LED strip lights in the CAB. they are 12volt. All the lights are on switches. I can turn the lights on and off without the ranger being started or even if the key isn't in it. The lights work when the switch is thrown.
I have noticed that when i wiggle the key in the ignition that it affects whether i hear clicks in the engine or not. I'm beginning to wonder if the switch is bad?
Could the regulator/rectifier be bad? I to be honest don't even know what it is? Could I be overloading something in the electrical system with the lights i installed? I also do have a WARN winch installed and it also works without any problems.

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
a good rule of thumb when wiring accessories is to wire in fuses, relays and not directly to the battery. you dont want to drain your battery.

whats the voltage of the battery as of right now? with the light off?

whats the voltage of the battery with the lights on? does the voltage drop?

disconnect the lights and see if the machine runs normally now...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Unhook your wiring and see if the problem persists. Do you know what circuit you pulled the power from? The ecu could be picking up an overload or a relay may be tripping.

Unlike Quack, i wire to the battery a d leave factory harnesses alone.

·
Registered
47 Posts
totally fine to wire to battery if you wish, but dont use the accessories too much without having the machine running.
i think you can only use the winch so much until the atv wont start anymore(if winch used with the machine no running)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wire to bttry also via a power block. Always install fuses and can add inline fuses easily...these should be near the power source, which in my case is bttry.

Your prob may simply be a depleted bttry as they usually get whipped when cold weather shows up. Simple to pull it and have auto parts store or a local Battery Plus store check it for free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts