Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here is the background. This unit is a 2015 (or 16) Ranger Crew 570 EFI I am working on for a friend. I will admit that electrical work is not my area of expertise, but I tend to be able to figure these types of issues out and this one has me stumped. When key is turned on, EFI Fuse blows immediately, which kills all other electronics on vehicle. I assumed first that this was a short to ground due to rubbed or exposed wire, but I have spent hours and hours investigating that possibility with no luck. I then began checking components. The starter solenoid was bad (very high resistance), and while I figured this wasn't the problem, I replaced it anyway and found that I was right. Then I began checking the actual injector. I'm not sure what all I should test but the first thing I did was check resistance and it read 11.8 on the injector. This seems low to me but I'm not sure what the spec is. Could this be the problem? And if not, what other things could I look at? Any other simple things that I could rule out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Per the factory service manual the fuel injector should have a resistance of 11.4-12.6 ohms. You said you were right about the starter solenoid, so did that not fix the issue of the fuse blowing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Per the factory service manual the fuel injector should have a resistance of 11.4-12.6 ohms. You said you were right about the starter solenoid, so did that not fix the issue of the fuse blowing?

Ok so that resistance is in spec. And no it did not fix the problem. After replacing it I plugged in a new fuse, and it blew as soon as I turned the key. I didn't really expect it to fix the problem, but I knew it would be a problem eventually so I replaced it. I'm getting towards the extend of my knowledge on what to try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just thinking out loud but if the switch is off, one leg of the fuse should go to ground and the other should go to nothing. So you could use the meter to see if both legs are grounded with hothead switch off. When your looking down at the fuse panel with the seat up what fuse is on the top left? I’m trying to figure out which way the fuse box is orientated so I can tell you where each leg of the EFI fuse goes because I assume numbers listed in wiring diagram won’t help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sbouvia: Ok so I checked continuity between each leg of the fuse and the main ground post close to the battery. I didn't get continuity on either leg. I had gotten continuity on one leg back when I first started working on it but now I have nothing. As for the fuse location, when you open the seat on the driver side everything appears upside down so I attached a picture of that view as well as the upright view with the corresponding diagram. i took off some of the wiring harness tape and traced one of the wires out to one of the terminals on the solenoid. And while I mention that, don you know where I can get some replacement tape for that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would just use regular electrical tape but I am sure there is something better. Yes the one terminal should go to starter solenoid. That should be the terminal on the left when looking down at fuse panel, the leg closest to the fan fuse. Ok so here goes the other side.

The other end of the fuse appears to go a splice as a red wire with a white tracer (which I have no idea where the lives). From here it splits into three different wires. One red one goes to the speedometer and pin 4 on speedo connect. Second red wire goes to the diagnostic port and pin A. The third wire red with a white tracer goes to the key switch and pin C. I’ve attached some pics of wiring diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do you think it is possible that the problem could lie in one of those 3 components and the EFI Fuse is just the first fuse the high amperage hits? I Was assuming it was isolated to the fuel system wiring since the EFI Fuse was blowing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sbouvia: Do you have access to a more specific wiring diagram for these components. I did some research and found many cases of a short within the speedometer blowing fuses. I would like to test all of these components to look for a short, but I am not sure how to test them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts