Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to clean the spark arrestor on my 2015 mid-sized ranger 570. The owner's manual says to clean carbon from the exhaust by removing the cleaning plug from the bottom of the muffler and gunning the engine to blow the carbon out. The problem is that my muffler has no such plug. Having seen how plugged up a spark arrestor screen can get, I'd really like to remove it and clean it. I've found several youTube videos on doing this with a razor, but nothing for the ranger.The problem is that the inside of the spark arrestor is tapered and there is nothing for a slide hammer and puller to grab onto.Has anyone done this on their Ranger?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm going to answer my own post as I have figured it out. After removing the nut and bolt that holds the spark arrestor in, I sprayed it liberally with penetrating oil. Lately I've been using CRC Freeze-off, which is a combination of oil and refrigerant. By cooling the part, it shrinks it and allows the oil to penetrate better. You only need to wait a few minutes for it to work.

After the penetrating oil, I tapped inward on the arrestor just to break it free. I was then able to pull it out a little with my thumb in the hole. I repeated the tap in and pull out process until I got it out about 1/4 inch. This exposes a ridge on the outside of the arrestor that I was able to get a slide hammer puller on.

After all of this work, I found the spark arrestor to be totally clean. I have about 620 hours and 6200 miles on my rig. I saw so may videos about clogged spark arrestors that I was concerned. I guess that they were all on 2 cycle engines.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts