Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new member and 1st post here, hopefully this forum can help with my problem! :grin:

Anyways, I bought a 2015 Ranger ETX off Copart a couple weeks ago, went and picked it up last week, and finally got around to working on it this weekend. It was listed as an "enhanced" vehicle, but not run and drive (1st mistake). When I got it home, I found it to be missing a few essential parts - the throttle body, MAP sensor, coil, ignition switch, shifter cable, right rear brake line, and the injector wiring harness had all been removed, with the harness being cut off. :| It also had a dead battery, and what looked to be some pretty bad fuel/water still in the gas tank (7/8 full!).

I was able to acquire the parts all last week, some used and some new, and got around to installing everything this weekend. I got the ignition switch and new battery in, and then installed the coil/throttle body (used), the MAP sensor (new), and wired in a new injector clip. I turned the key and it showed 6400 mi, along with no check-engine light, so I figured I'd try to start it and see what happens. The motor turned over, but didn't start (2nd mistake). The coolant looked ok, I checked the spark plug and had spark, and the fuel pump turned on, so I started looking at the fuel itself.

I was able to drain the fuel today, and put in new fuel, and also unhooked the fuel line and cycled the key until new fuel was coming out of the fuel line, then I hooked the line back up and hit the key. Again, the motor turned over, but wouldn't start, maybe a random cough here or there, but mostly nothing. I pulled the spark plug thinking it was fouled, and installed a new iridium plug, an NGK CR9EIX - tried again, nothing. I tried spraying some starter fluid in the throttle body, but that didn't seem to do anything either. I can't find any kind of kill switch on this, either, so I'm leaning towards a mechanical issue now.

I've done all kinds of searches, and here's what I have left - the injector possibly being gummed up from the awful old fuel, or something else like the valves/compression. I'm going to get a new injector, and rent a compression tester next to see what it comes up with, but I wanted to see if anyone had any kinds of these problems, or had any advice on what to do next, as I've worked on cars a long time, but this is my first UTV. The Ranger is for a friend who just bought 3+ acres, and I'm attempting to start a YouTube channel myself also, so this was supposed to be a big 1st project for everything. :devil:

I'm not sure how long the Ranger has been sitting, but judging by the fuel I drained out, it may have been for a while. Has anyone ever gone through trying to revive something like this? Maybe some ideas/tips? There's no brake fluid in the master cylinder due to the missing brake line, would this be something possibly? There's no ETX forum, and the Ranger 570 is the closest cousin, so that's why I'm posting here, too.

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to give as much info as possible, and I can update after the compression test/injector. Hopefully someone can help also, so thanks in advance! :grin:

-Boon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Crazy question. But seeing as there is no fluid in the master reservoir are you stepping on the brake when trying to start? I know the brake has to be depressed to start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crazy question. But seeing as there is no fluid in the master reservoir are you stepping on the brake when trying to start? I know the brake has to be depressed to start.
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I was stepping on the brake to start - the starter would not turn over otherwise, and the Ranger was in a garage on level ground just in case.

I'm also going to test the fuel pressure along with the compression, as that seems to be a big problem with these models. I'll prob try and pull the valve cover also and make sure everything is good under there, but I'm going to try the other tests first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With it having 6400 miles on it you might check the valve clearance. It could be too tight on the intakes.
Thanks for the reply! I'll check the valve clearances also - just tested the fuel pressure today, and it was up at 57 psi when the pump was priming, then dropped to around 50 or so when the pump stopped priming, and went back up to 57 psi every time I turned the key on initially, so I don't think the fuel pump is the problem, unfortunately...

I've also got a new fuel injector on the way, as maybe the old one is gummed up, but I'll see about the compression/valve tests first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts