Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2016 model with ca 250 hours on it. I took it do delivery in the beginning of october-2016 so it is now a little bit over 2 years old.

When i now charge it overnight the dashboard battery indicator does not show 100%, it shows 94-95% and sometimes as low as 91% when i plug out the charger.

I have never mistreated the batteries in any way and i was hoping they would last longer than 2 years before they started getting weaker.

Does anyone have info or experience with this or similar issues, what is possibly wrong, and what can i hopefully do to fix it?

Sincerely

Jørn from Norway

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
What is the total voltage of the battery packs? compare that to this scale
Measure with a volt meter. one probe on drivers side rear inside post and one on the passenger side rear battery inside post. + and -. Or you can do each bank individually

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi i added pictures of it above, because i dont know what model it is cricketo
Yeah, that doesn't help. The reason I was asking because Curtis has many models of these gauges that look alike, and Polaris may have used several different ones over the years. I was going to pull the docs on yours to see if there is
a reset or calibration function that can be uses, as many Curtis gauges do have ability to calibrate against a fully charged pack. Gauge model number is on the back.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for the answer, the number is 3003R-57X-0009

then

16143 with C or "O" at he end

on the line under

Nice, that's the same model as I had in my 2015 Ranger. Unfortunately there is no datasheet that I could find for it, but I will give it another try. By the way, check your connector on the back of the gauge, perhaps there is some
oxidation in the connector that results in added resistance.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
You may want to try resetting it. Charge fully. Disconnect from behind the gauge for 30 seconds and reconnect. It works on the earlier models 2010 to 2013

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
these type guages were installed in the year starting 2014 I think. before i converted to the Lithium packs mine was always about 20% off but always showed 100% when charged. The best way to tell is to keep a multimeter on board under the seats and check when in doubt using the chart. Or install a digital meter in the dash if your like me and finiky about being exact.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi now i have charged it overnight. gauge shows 94%

Total battery package measured 50,25V

The individual batteries range between 12,53 to 12,63
So what do you guys think? Is it the batteries or the charger?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi now i have charged it overnight. gauge shows 94%

Total battery package measured 50,25V

The individual batteries range between 12,53 to 12,63
So what do you guys think? Is it the batteries or the charger?
Looks like it is a little low. Your entire pack needs to read 50.8, and individual batteries 12.7. That little difference is enough to affect that gauge reading. For example, for 80%
the values would be 50 for entire pack, and 12.5 for individual batteries.

If you have a 12v charger, try topping off those individual batteries that seem a bit low.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, thanks for answers. Charged it overnight again and started at 94%

Then drove to the coffeshop and back home, at this point gauge measures 91% and i was thinking charge batteries independently, but when i now use multimeter to check the whole package reads 50,62V wich is higher than it read yesterday at 94%

Nevertheless i am now thinking about charging each battery up to max independently to get them all max charged. Do i have to disconnect the cables between batteries when cahrging independent?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
No you dont

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, i put the Noco Genius charger on the battery with lowest voltage and it got it charged to over 13V. Maybe it is healthy for the batteries if i do this to them all?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Yes. But remember you need to let the battery ir batteries rest and stabilize. Reading the charge as soon as you disconnect the charger. Wait for a while and let the voltage come back down to should be 12.7 or 12.7. If it got up to 13 that’s good. Yes I would do all of them. WIt a hour and see what they read. Would be great if u had a buddy that had a load tester. Another check is check each cell as you did batteries. Cell to cell should be 2.1. As 6 cells times 2.1 = 12.6.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The battery is now down to alittle below 12,7 but the other batteries have increased in voltage as if voltage has spilled over between the batteries. Some of them has also gotten wet at the terminals.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The wet terminals are probably acid from charging. If u haven’t changed the algorithm of the charger you should to a softer initial charge that won’t boil the batteries. Easy to do

·
Registered
202 Posts
The battery is now down to alittle below 12,7 but the other batteries have increased in voltage as if voltage has spilled over between the batteries. Some of them has also gotten wet at the terminals.
Voltage increase in a single battery won't affect other batteries on the same side, but will slightly increase voltages across the string on the opposite side. Basically if you bump up a single battery say by 0.5v, entire string voltage goes up by 0.5v. Given two strings are paralleled, that 0.5v increase will spill over there, and will get distributed across 4 batteries.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts