Polaris Ranger Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
The voltage rise from regen is limited, and will depend on the cell chemistry. Lifepo4 are a lot more "Bouncy" than Li ion which tend to have a lower voltage rise and fall. This would only really be an issue if you charged the cells to their absolute max. Ie lifepo4 to about 4.1v but most only charge to about 3.6v so plenty of headroom. This can also be taken account of in the BMS and the setup on the controller, where the higher voltage can also be programmed to cut back dealing with this . Its only really any issue if you immediately do something with high regen when the pack is freshly charged. The situation changes very quickly under usage. But the cut back programming can take care of this.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Sino poly , Thundersky, Winston, all similar cells can go above 4/4.1v. But Personally I like to keep to no greater than 3.65v / cell. Especially as they age. Calb dont go so high and should be about 3.7v max so 3.45v is a good voltage to aim for. But always check with the specific makers design values. The regen isnt an issue as you just change the over voltage in the Sevcon via DVT in the Battery voltage profile.

·
Registered
646 Posts
This shows the WInston/ thundersky operating voltages. Absolute Max beyond this

A clue is with the nominal voltage . CALB is 3.2v Thundersky/ Winston 3.3v And
Low voltage CALB 2.5v Thundersky/ Winston 2.8v
There appears to be a difference in the make up between the two design types, and the difference in operational voltages.
As with all things check the makers specifications.

·
Registered
646 Posts
No. early TS/ Winston were straight Lifepo4. And the voltage was higher still.
Early calb were also Lifepo4 and they still had the lower voltage profile.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Well I finally bit the bullet and put down a deposit on the 10KW lithium ion pack. Gonna try to install ourselves and Ill do as others have here and document the process. While I am waiting for the pack to be ready, I have a few questions for the folks that have done the upgrade: 1) how hard was the install, and how hard is the Sevcon controller to remove? The charger looks simple but the controller seems in the middle under alot of metal structure. 2) Are there any charging tips or tips in general for cold weather? Will the pack charge under 32 degrees? Mine will be used in the mountains of WV, very deep terrain and it does get pretty cold in winter. 3) are there any maintenance tips and what range do you guys with lithium keep the pack in? Ive been reading that lithium ion batteries like to be around 50-60 %, was thinking 20-80% is a good range to try to keep them in unless you need that extra 20% for something - similar to what they recommend for Tesla or other EV cars. Any info you guys can share is great and Ill post more thru the process too.
hello Juantana,

just curious how your new pack is doing? Also, have you tested it going up very steep inclines yet? Just curious if the Ranger cuts out / stalls like the lead acid batteries do?
I just ordered the largest pack and looking forward to getting installed in one of my machines.

thanks,

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
hello Juantana,

just curious how your new pack is doing? Also, have you tested it going up very steep inclines yet? Just curious if the Ranger cuts out / stalls like the lead acid batteries do?
I just ordered the largest pack and looking forward to getting installed in one of my machines.

thanks,
I have never had any issues with stalling and I am still loving the pack - the guy at Voltronix emailed me a new profile to load into the BMS, and I never again had that drastic drop on the power meter again -seems the old profile was not 100% correct and they have fixed it it seems. These Li packs dont even drop as much range in winter as the old lead acid ones did - during Covid I took daily ATV riders and could do the whole 40-50, miles in our 10,000 acres "subdivision" - highly recommend the upgrade!

·
Registered
503 Posts
My first Voltronix kit is unbelievable. I went with the 14kw pack and the range still amazes me. My second EV is undergoing surgery with the new 11.7kw pack as I write this. Can’t say enough about Voltronix and Brennan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

61 - 72 of 72 Posts