Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at replacing the prop shaft on a 2017 Ranger 900XP and have a couple questions. Well one is, why did they change from the universal joint to CV (ball) joint. At least the universal joint is replaceable on the previous year model.
1- Is there a repair for the CV drive shaft?
2- Are you required to cut out a section of a frame cross member or bend it to remove/ install the drive shaft.
3- Where do you recommend purchasing a new driveshaft? I have located one outside directly from Polaris and it is about the same price ($375+ tax).
4- On average, how long does it take to replace?

Thanks all,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drive shaft comes out the front,

It's a chore, and beware the problem may be the front differential input shaft may be wore and you will still have that stupid noise.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Appreciate the feedback and caution. Can the input shaft be replaced individually or do you have to replace the gear box assy?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2014 900xp with the older style universal joint. My U joints were replaced probably 4 times, most by dealer, once by me. The last time I put on an aftermarket driveshaft and have had better luck so far, can't remember what brand I used.
Removing the prop shaft is out the front. Some will tell you there is plenty of room if you just loosen the front differential and move it over. I had trouble trying that route, I ended up removing the diff completely which gave me plenty of room. I was also installing a new power steering unit to so that made that alot easier also. Really not a tough job, just time consuming, and quite a bit of stuff to take off just to change U joints. Sure would have been alot easier job if it would just drop down out the bottom.

·
Vendor
623 Posts
Does anyone have recommendations for a replacement front drive shaft (prop shaft) for the 2017 Ranger 900 XP? Dealer or aftermarket?
Thanks
Hey man. We have one for you. I'm pretty sure you have a 2016...the last year of the 900 Ranger. Probably purchased in 2017. You'll see the fitment on our website goes through 2016 for the 900 model, and start at 2017 for the 1000 XP model.
Here's a link: https://www.superatv.com/polaris-ranger-xp-900-rhino-driveline-prop-shafts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Vendor
623 Posts
If you have a 900 model, you'd have the U-joint OEM prop. We're not currently making a CV prop for it......YET. Our current prop shaft CV's are too big and won't clear, but we have a new one coming out in a couple months that will fit. Right now it looks like we'll get around to doing the first batch in late summer. For now, you just have the U-joint option. Not sure if anyone else is making a CV prop for the 900 models right now. Probably the same clearance issues we had.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have a 900 model, you'd have the U-joint OEM prop. We're not currently making a CV prop for it......YET. Our current prop shaft CV's are too big and won't clear, but we have a new one coming out in a couple months that will fit. Right now it looks like we'll get around to doing the first batch in late summer. For now, you just have the U-joint option. Not sure if anyone else is making a CV prop for the 900 models right now. Probably the same clearance issues we had.
Actually that is not correct. It is a CV type shaft starting with the 2017 year model (see link below). I would like to find a stronger aftermarket one that is serviceable too.
I wonder if your U-joint one will fit the 2017 model Ranger 900XP?

Thanks

·
Vendor
623 Posts
Actually that is not correct. It is a CV type shaft starting with the 2017 year model (see link below). I would like to find a stronger aftermarket one that is serviceable too.

Thanks

I'll pull my try-on sheet and confirm for sure. We do have a cutoff for the 2016...so I'd like to make sure there's a reason...beyond just a missed try-on confirmation.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Thanks

It will fit but leaves some splines showing on the rear.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ive been running the u joint shaft on 3 different cv prop shaft machines. They have been fine. Just keep that output shaft greased. And then exactly like you said you can replace u joints instead of the whole shaft.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Especially around here ranchers get stuff wrapped around the cv shaft or sticks and mud ruin the boot. Then you have to replace the whole thing.

Also I like the beef of the superatv shaft but you cant split the front yoke to tighten it on the input shaft of the diff. So on a couple I had already installed the superatv shaft I installed a Polaris yoke on the front.

Or just buy the Polaris propshaft.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Especially around here ranchers get stuff wrapped around the cv shaft or sticks and mud ruin the boot. Then you have to replace the whole thing.

Also I like the beef of the superatv shaft but you cant split the front yoke to tighten it on the input shaft of the diff. So on a couple I had already installed the superatv shaft I installed a Polaris yoke on the front.

Or just buy the Polaris propshaft.

The boot getting damaged and getting crap in the CV joint is exactly what happened to the current shaft.

So the Polaris (U-joint) front yoke fits the Superatv shaft assy? Greatly appreciate you sharing your knowledge on this.

As for buying the Polaris propshaft. You meaning the original 2017 OEM CV shaft or the 2016 U-joint version?

·
Registered
46 Posts
The boot getting damaged and getting crap in the CV joint is exactly what happened to the current shaft.

So the Polaris (U-joint) front yoke fits the Superatv shaft assy? Greatly appreciate you sharing your knowledge on this.

As for buying the Polaris propshaft. You meaning the original 2017 OEM CV shaft or the 2016 U-joint version?
Yep no problem.

2016 U joint version.

·
Registered
27 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts