Polaris Ranger Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Especially around here ranchers get stuff wrapped around the cv shaft or sticks and mud ruin the boot. Then you have to replace the whole thing.

Also I like the beef of the superatv shaft but you cant split the front yoke to tighten it on the input shaft of the diff. So on a couple I had already installed the superatv shaft I installed a Polaris yoke on the front.

Or just buy the Polaris propshaft.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Well I replaced the prop shaft a couple months ago with factory new CV shaft. The job was easier than expected and without cutting the frame cross member. I did however take a pair of smooth jaw knipex pliers and gently rolled (bent) the cross forward member just enough to allow the shaft to pass through. The entire job was less than three hours and could prob do it in half that time now.
One issue noted about the removed shaft. The noise seems to have been from the prop shaft to front diff mating area due to wear. The Polaris design seems to not have enough spline engagement to provide good support. I am tempted to drill and tap the old shaft fwd yolk 90 degrees to the attaching pin and add bolts that go down against the fwd diff input shaft to tighten the fwd yolk to the input shaft.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yep...you're correct. Brain fart on my end.
We don't list ours fitting anything after 2016 because the U-joint is too big and can make contact.

We'll have a CV prop ready for them in a few months. The CV props are a real game changer.
Will the ends be replacable? I am not a fan of them because the boots fail and then you have to buy the whole shaft from Polaris.

·
Vendor
606 Posts
Will the ends be replacable? I am not a fan of them because the boots fail and then you have to buy the whole shaft from Polaris.
Definitely........BUT....I NEVER see any boot issues with the CV Prop Shafts. They're solid! And we've been making them for the RZR models for years now. They are definitely the go-to replacement and fix for the RZR drive line noise and vibration issues.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Definitely........BUT....I NEVER see any boot issues with the CV Prop Shafts. They're solid! And we've been making them for the RZR models for years now. They are definitely the go-to replacement and fix for the RZR drive line noise and vibration issues.
Where I live and work on machines I see issues with the boots all the time. Its not like there is stuff wrapped around it either. The rubber just cracks out then the cv fills with dirt and mud.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread but I replaced my 2017 XP 900 factory prop shaft with the Rhino I believe it was from Super ATV just over a year ago. There is about 1/2" of spline still showing in the rear. It wasn't too bad of an install. Getting the roll pin back in was the most aggravating part. I had to cut out some of the front support to get mine out. Just over a year later it sounds worse than the factory prop shaft. More noticeable at lower rpms probably because the machine is quieter. U-Joints still feel good and tight and don't show any visible wear but it sounds like I'm grinding rocks underneath my seat. I have about 6800 miles on my Ranger and this is the only major issue I've ever had with the machine. I've put my ranger on stands to try to pinpoint the noise but it will only do it under a load on the ground. I'm thinking something is out of balance somewhere.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Sorry to hijack this thread but I replaced my 2017 XP 900 factory prop shaft with the Rhino I believe it was from Super ATV just over a year ago. There is about 1/2" of spline still showing in the rear. It wasn't too bad of an install. Getting the roll pin back in was the most aggravating part. I had to cut out some of the front support to get mine out. Just over a year later it sounds worse than the factory prop shaft. More noticeable at lower rpms probably because the machine is quieter. U-Joints still feel good and tight and don't show any visible wear but it sounds like I'm grinding rocks underneath my seat. I have about 6800 miles on my Ranger and this is the only major issue I've ever had with the machine. I've put my ranger on stands to try to pinpoint the noise but it will only do it under a load on the ground. I'm thinking something is out of balance somewhere.
[/QUOTE

When I replaced the shaft I noticed some wear on the front gearbox input pinion shaft andits connecting counterpart of the prop shaft as it is also making a similar noise to the reason for replacing it. I suspect the forward spline of the shaft is rocking as it rotates. I may drill and tap a couple holes 90 degrees to the roll pin and install a couple bolts down to the gear box input pinion to stop the rocking motion.

·
Vendor
606 Posts
With the U-Series u-joint shafts....that's going to happen if you have any kind of movement somewhere along the driveline. Its not like the CV shaft that absorbs the vibration. The U-series will transfer that noise and vibration...just like the stock shaft...to the frame. If you're pinion gear is going out...or the trans output shaft is bent...or if you don't have the shaft phased correctly, you're going to hear it just like the stock shaft.. Its the cure for people that have a bent prop shaft...but if you're chasing noise and vibration and its not the prop shaft...the U-series is going to make the same noise as the stock prop.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts