Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Polaris ranger 500, after starting if I take off and drive for a short ways when I let off the gas the motor will store. I let it sit for a 30 seconds and it will restart. Once motor is warm The problem goes away. It seems if I let the motor warm up for at least 15 minutes I do not have this problem. Has anyone else experienced this? Ideas on what I could do to remedy the problem?

·
Registered
206 Posts
For a 2018 I would definitely bring it in to the dealership and let them scan it. It sounds like you have a sensor not reading properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To jobo, I am going to do that as the warranty is still there. Just don’t want to tie it up during hunting season. Just interested to see if this is a big problem. Did not do it for the first six months I owned it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you have access to a fuel pressure gauge it may be worthwhile to see if your fuel pump is acting up...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tps

When cold and you first start it, will it idle for some time without issue?
And does it idle at the proper RPM and does it idle smoothly?
If in Neutral, you tap on the pedal to say 4K RPM breifly, and let it return to idle quickly does it stall?
I assume the Temp sensor reads correctly?

It sounds like the EFI is providing insufficient fuel to return to idle when cold. Perhaps the Throttle position sensor is misreporting idle position or the throttle position is too closed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: brought machine to dealer last November. Dealer stated fuel pressure and sensors working fine. They rebuilt the top end. Approximately 150 miles later the stalling issue has returned and the front driveshaft is shot. Yokes on transmission and front differential have tons of slop. Bringing machine to different dealer tomorrow. Beyond disgusted right now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update: machine still sits at dealer. What’s the lemon law on atv’s?
Any update on what was wrong. I bought my 500 new and now have only 42 miles and having stalling problems. I should have stuck with the Kawasakis. Never had a problem!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I advise everyone to contact Polaris and complain. I contacted Polaris and they seem to think there isn't any common issue. If enough people contact them maybe they will have a recall and they can figure what the problem is. Seems funny everyone is having the same issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 Polaris ranger 500, after starting if I take off and drive for a short ways when I let off the gas the motor will store. I let it sit for a 30 seconds and it will restart. Once motor is warm The problem goes away. It seems if I let the motor warm up for at least 15 minutes I do not have this problem. Has anyone else experienced this? Ideas on what I could do to remedy the problem?
I've had the same problem with a 17 model for over a year unable to find out why

·
Super Moderator
2,404 Posts
For you guys that are unable to find out why it would be helpful to tell us what you have checked or changed in trying to find out why.
If you haven't checked your valve clearance and compression pressure that would be the place to start.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts