Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 900 xp Ranger that had been running great. It has about 3300 miles on it. It recently started having a engine knock. Oil level was fine. Didn’t notice any power loss. It knocks continuously no matter how warned up it is. Took it to the dealer and they didn’t have time to mess with it, so brought it back home. Now there is no knock, but it’s smoking now. I’m thinking top end issue, well hoping so anyway. Any ideas?

·
Registered
333 Posts
You need to find a new dealer. My guess is it's out of warranty already? Need a lot more information...

-Has this Ranger ever been upside down or on its side with the engine running?
-Has it been in deep water (over 2 feet)?
-Has it ever been run low on oil at high RPMs?
-Has the engine ever been run on non-synthetic oil?
-Has it ever gone way past the normal oil service interval?

My guess is a bad valve. If the knocking quit, that rules out a con rod. The smoking indicates a valve issue. You are gonna have to have the compression checked to verify this. You will likely have to have the head removed and the valves repaired/replaced and have the head inspected. Expect parts and labor of around a grand, minimum.

If none of the above questions were answered in the "positive," you may have had a sticky valve. Tapping first as it stuck and then not closing all the way. You may have a busted valve spring. Get the compression checked first thing.

Ray

1 - 2 of 2 Posts