Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks. Just doing some homework on the Ranger. Currently own rzr xpt and thinking about changing. I will keep an eye on your build. Bill

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds good, I will post more videos as I get further along. Waiting for a bunch of backordered stuff to come in. I got a couple Black Oak light bars installed and working on a Feniex strobe system similar to what I did on my General in the Polaris General forums. Also trying some custom built Elka shocks that should be here in a week or so. I don't have many posts over here yet, but I'll try to keep posting as things change. Take care! :grin:

·
Super Moderator
1,877 Posts
Sure is a fine looking rig. Now to get it dirty.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol! Can't leave that open-ended! What happened? Burn up a belt? I've already had the clutches apart and modded on mine. Waiting for a helix and one way bearing mod to eliminate engine braking. Still waiting on backorder stuff so I haven't put any miles on it yet but feels good so far...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Longslyde this is rocklong from the general forum. Nice machine I just traded my general for the exact same one as yours except mine has the red accents on the doors. Haha. Longslyde had a very nice and well built general he put a lot of work into and then moved on to this project. I sure wish I would have been in the general market when he sold his general.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are those factory rock sliders with step pretty durable or do they flex pretty easy when you step on them.
Heya Rock! Good to see ya on here too! :grin: Yeah the rock sliders are very sturdy. Definitely recommend those as they fit well and look good on the machine. Not as big as I thought they'd be so that was good. The only part I was disappointed in was the rear brush guard. THAT was really flimsy and I was afraid if someone stepped on it, it would fold right down so I returned that. Waiting for a good rear bumper option to come out from EMP or HMF.

As for the difference in the Ranger to the General. Both are nice units. But I like to compare the Ranger to pickup and the General to a car. The general was great for trail riding if you are not in and out of it all the time. More comfortable laid back seating position, but that is why it's a little more cumbersome to get in and out of if you do that a lot. Not a deal breaker by any means lol, just personal preference. The New body Ranger added 5" more leg room in it and that was one of the nicest upgrades I saw they did compared to the older Rangers I had. Carrying 3 people is now much easier and more comfortable for the passenger. I thought I wouldn't miss the bigger box on the ranger when I got the General, but it turns out I did. So with the room and the box size back, along with the other upgrades like a better sealing cab, I don't regret switching back the Ranger at this point. The shocks on the new Ranger are almost TOO soft now lol, but they do provide a plush ride if you're running slow. I think and upgrade would be needed of trail riding with any cargo would be involved. I am working with Elka right now on a custom set of Stage 2 shocks to try out. Shooting for something between the stock Ranger shocks and the General Deluxe Fox Shocks. I think if they turn out like I think they will, it would make the New Ranger a perfect all-around machine.
I do miss the General for the fast trail riding at this point as it was more designed for that. Polaris did a great job with the General being a nice option for a cross-over. It does both work and play well, but doesn't "excel" at either in stock form. A RZR would beat it in full out play, and the Ranger will beat it in all out work. So in the end it really all comes down to personal preference. ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"except mine has the red accents on the doors. Haha."

I didn't catch that right away LOL! I do have the red accents on the doors too. Of all the back ordered parts, they were the only pieces to come in so far... I still haven't got the rear pulse bar and audio equipment so I can finish all the wiring for the strobes, cargo lights, and upper light bar. :crying:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lol! Can't leave that open-ended! What happened? Burn up a belt? I've already had the clutches apart and modded on mine. Waiting for a helix and one way bearing mod to eliminate engine braking. Still waiting on backorder stuff so I haven't put any miles on it yet but feels good so far...
Really looking forward to more info on engine braking elimination. I really need mine eliminated and I can't find any answers or vids on eliminating on the 18 1000. It's a whole new set up right?

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 48 Posts