Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one has been a head scratcher. No rhyme or reason to it, machine just suddenly dies while riding. Machine starts up with no issue and idles like a champ. No sputtering or obvious fuel related issues. Running ethanol free in it as well. No specific speed, RPMs or temperature seems to matter. It’s almost as if I’m turning off the key going down the road. Strange part is that it fires right back up if I let it come to a complete stop. Also figured out that if I quickly turn the key to off position and right back to on position while still rolling, machine comes right back to life. Temp is normal at around 180 give or take. Another thing, when it dies all the dash lights remain lit and my check engine light comes on and stays solid. Replaced all the relays under the seat and the ignition switch. Still acting up. Dead cold the battery reads 12.8V and although slow at times, doesn’t seem to have issues starting. Battery cables are clean, tight and in brand new condition. Some days I get lucky and this doesn’t happen at all. Most times though, it happens repeatedly. Before I sink a ton of money in random parts hoping someone here may have some ideas. All the folks I’ve talked to locally seem to agree that it’s an electrical issue of some sort. I’ve looked over most if not all the wires and wiggled the heck out of everything while idling but can’t replicate the machine dying part. HELP!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: battery cables were super tight but I decided to take out the battery anyway. Immediately saw the problem.

The owner before me stacked 6 crappy lead washers between both the positive and negative cables and battery posts. Washers of course corroded over time, particularly the ones on bottom. I guess the fix worked now.Apparently the OEM screws that connected to the OEM battery are too long for the after market battery, and instead of getting new screws, the person used the washers to make it work. I ripped all that mess out, cleaned everything up and replaced with shorter screws. So far seems to have solved my issues. No more dash lights flickering or dying suddenly.
The first thing I would try is replacing the ignition switch. A pretty cheap place to start.
I replaced all the relays and ignition switch. No luck. However…the fix was a $2 problem. A couple stainless bolts and copper washers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts