Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I’m fairly new to the side by side world. Just bought a really nice, low mile, ranger crew 1000 xp. It’s got 265 truck tires on it and a few inches of lift. I first day I had it I broke the reverse chain on it backing up in my driveway. After tearing into it, we realized the chain that I broke was a super atv heavy duty reverse chain. Thought that was odd. We went to order another, and come to find out, they don’t make the HD reverse chain kit for this transmission with this serial number that’s in my ranger. So, somebody had obviously put the wrong kit in it. The reverse gears don’t line up perfectly, which is why the chain broke we believe. I just ordered an $800 kit from Warranty killer performance and they sent me the exact same shaft that came in the super atv kit. So it obviously won’t work either. Does anybody have any ideas or tips? Or know of a company that makes a kit for this ranger

·
Registered
479 Posts
Not aware for the newer transmissions. Stock should work fine as long as your not mashing on it in reverse in peanutbutter mud.

Obviously the po beat on it some. And those 265's are totally most of the cause. Way too heavy. Even with portals they frown on truck tires. Wrong application.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not aware for the newer transmissions. Stock should work fine as long as your not mashing on it in reverse in peanutbutter mud.

Obviously the po beat on it some. And those 265's are totally most of the cause. Way too heavy. Even with portals they frown on truck tires. Wrong application.
I’ve bought another set of tires for it already. But I’ve heard of people breaking the reverse chains before, and this stock one had already broke. So while I’m in the transmission I’d really like to upgrade it if I can.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Luke, what are your plans for the machine....riding style?

Yes they do break if abused. But haven't read about many in a few years. More so the planetary gears coming apart blowing a nice hole in the transmission when beat on. But haven't read much about that in quite sometime either. They upgraded the transmission in 2020 i think. Gear to gear reverse and got rid of the planetary gears.

Point is, you can break anything if you try hard enough, but not the norm. If Toxic 21 catches this post, he will be able to point you in the right direction for any options that may be available.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Send Toxic21 a pm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Luke, what are your plans for the machine....riding style?

Yes they do break if abused. But haven't read about many in a few years. More so the planetary gears coming apart blowing a nice hole in the transmission when beat on. But haven't read much about that in quite sometime either. They upgraded the transmission in 2020 i think. Gear to gear reverse and got rid of the planetary gears.

Point is, you can break anything if you try hard enough, but not the norm. If Toxic 21 catches this post, he will be able to point you in the right direction for any options that may be available.
I plan to do mostly road riding and some trail riding. Some beginner level rock climbing and stuff. Just got off the phone with a guy from Specialized Atv and he says their kit will work. Rather than a heavy duty reverse chain it uses a double reverse chain. Basically two singles next to each other. Going to try that kit.

·
Vendor
448 Posts
If you want to shoot me the part number for your transmission, I'll take another look and see if we have a fitment. A super single is always going to be stronger than the double reverse chain.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I plan to do mostly road riding and some trail riding. Some beginner level rock climbing and stuff. Just got off the phone with a guy from Specialized Atv and he says their kit will work. Rather than a heavy duty reverse chain it uses a double reverse chain. Basically two singles next to each other. Going to try that kit.
Doubles are a very nice novelty item, but not a good idea.

What are the contents of this kit?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts