Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I’m a newb to these Polaris engines. While driving my ranger 500 midsize I hear a hissing sound and the engine oil cap seems to pop off, oil all over the place. I check oil and it is still at the second line on the dipstick. Can anyone tell me what could be the cause to the hissing sound followed by oil cap coming off? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2020 Ranger 570 Full Size Crew, OEM top, aftermarket front and rear windshields, Maxxis Ceros tires.
37 Posts
I'm new to these Polaris engines but I have a couple thoughts about engines in general.

First, I assume the oil filler cap is threaded rather than push in/on. (I only have 15 hours on mine so I haven't done an oil change yet to know.). Hard to imagine it could pop off if threaded.

Second, there most likely is a crankcase vent somewhere. Either venting to atmosphere or into the intake tract or filter box. I would check to see if it is blocked/pinched somewhere along its path.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm new to these Polaris engines but I have a couple thoughts about engines in general.

First, I assume the oil filler cap is threaded rather than push in/on. (I only have 15 hours on mine so I haven't done an oil change yet to know.). Hard to imagine it could pop off if threaded.

Second, there most likely is a crankcase vent somewhere. Either venting to atmosphere or into the intake tract or filter box. I would check to see if it is blocked/pinched somewhere along its path.
It is threaded. And I will look into the vent. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Ranger 570 Full Size Crew, OEM top, aftermarket front and rear windshields, Maxxis Ceros tires.
37 Posts
Or maybe the threads are stripped on the filler cap but it sounds like there might be pressure buildup to pop it out regardless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts