Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased new and first time buyer... salesman and I both heard metallic 'clunking' when a starting to move in either low or high gear during a test drive... I dismissed it as just being 'normal'... I took delivery and had it back to shop within a week to add a plow... out of curiosity, I took out 2 other Rangers (same exact model and year) for a test drive with the same salesman... both units were dead quiet during acceleration from a stop in either running gear... the salesman admitted hearing the noise during the original test drive and not saying anything during the purchase... he said the noise was abnormal, shouldn't be there and he would have it taken care of before delivering the unit back to me... more than a week passed when my wife received a call from him... they couldn't fix it but did reduce the 'clunking' a little... I called him back and told him it needs to be a quiet as the other 2 units we both drove... that is when he told me what the Service Manager told him to tell me... Polaris mad a mid-year change from some plastic parts (quiet) to some steel parts (noisy) during acceleration from a stop... I told him again this was not acceptable and I would not allow him to redeliver the unit to me... so that is why I am posting this... Has anyone heard of this anomaly (or dare I say defect)?... the unit only has 7 miles on it and the dealer has it and all of my money... I researched the Wisconsin Lemon law and consider this to be repair attempt #1 fearing that the noise in itself may not constitute a lemon but usually what sounds bad is actually doing physical damage that may not rear its ugly head until down the road... any advise would be most helpful... thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
Does the clunk only sound when you begin rolling, and then it's quiet? Or is it a "clunk-clunk-clunk" underway that speeds up as the ute speeds up? The latter sounds like a problem with the secondary. The primary drive is silent (except for a little belt noise) on start up.

The Polaris secondary is the weak link in the drive train. Perhaps they decided to upgrade that part but, once rolling, the drive train should be relatively quiet. There are two plastic rollers in the secondary. Possibly, for longevity, they replaced the plastic rollers with metal rollers -not a good idea because plastic on metal wears the plastic. Metal on metal wears out both metal parts. The secondary is just an aluminum alloy and is relatively soft. But, you should have ZERO wear at 7 miles. Look at my thread for a pulley that has 3000 mi on it...

https://www.rangerforums.net/forum/polaris-ranger-xp900/46319-polaris-transmission.html

It might help you get an idea of what the parts are and which one is acting up. I'd stick to your guns and ask for the non-steel part to be swapped into the machine. The ultimate alternative would be to put the DuraClutch system on your machine ($1400) but, the OEM system is reliable if you take care of the belts an pulleys and load them smoothly from a standstill. If it ain't right, they should fix it! If nothing else, they should swap out the secondary to see if a new one solves the problem.

Keep us tuned as to what transpires...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CCRay... thanks for the info... it is definitely a multiple 'clunk-clunk-clunk' when just starting to roll then quiet... the salesman is their parts counter guy moving into sales (I was his 1st sale) and is not sure of the exact cause... I will keep trying to get more details... thanks again!

·
Registered
324 Posts
OK... one more "way out there" cause might be a melted spot on the belt. If somebody nailed the gas from a stop (after assy at the dealer) you may be hearing a binding on the secondary as the belt width changes. As you get up to speed, it might go away or be less noticable, except for a little surge around 10-15 mph. If no surging, your belt is likely OK. That would be easy for the dealer to diagnose. If I were betting spendola though, I'd be looking close at the secondary. They need to pull the cover and go through both pulleys and belt with a fine toothed comb. They can put a stethoscope on drivetrain parts while the machine is on blocks and find the source pretty easily. Might be a bad bearing in the transmission shaft but, those are generally really trouble free. The motor and geared transmissions on these vehicles are pretty bullet proof. The pulley and belt system are the main culprits but they should be pretty quiet when new.

I met an older guy at the post office one day in his 800 Ranger. He asked me how I liked the 900. He said his transmission sounded like it was going to explode the day he got it home and that was ten years ago. Still making goofy sounds. Still works like the day he got it. But you want a quiet one!

Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
utv_newbie,

I have the same exact issue with my 2019 900XP. I have about 5 miles on it. Just wanted to let you know that your issue was not a "one off".

I expect that I will be taking mine in to be looked at over the winter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that the dealer has attempted to fix it twice and has had it for nearly a month, they got Polaris involved... the decision was made that the differential is the culprit and not the clutch primary or secondary... a new part will be in towards the middle of next week... who knows when the service department will install it... missed some prime time wheeling over the last few weeks... thanks for all replies and hope that all goes well with RangerRoady... Polaris and their dealers need to get their act together

·
Registered
324 Posts
Product support seems to be Polaris' biggest downfall. Glad to hear they have a problem area to focus on.

Let us know how the repair goes...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After being without my brand new machine for 4 weeks, the dealer finally got it back to me... the 3rd attempt to fix seemingly worked... they replaced the front differential and the belt... kind of strange the belt was bad after just 15 or 20 miles... dealer kept saying how Polaris is not playing nice with them and how much money they had to invest in this when I asked for some compensation for loss of use and frustration... the result was a big NOTHING so I cancelled my prepaid maintenance agreement with them and got refunded for it... looking for a new dealer for service and to buy my wife a wheeler for herself... guess they didn't need any more business from me... oh well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts