Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my tan 900 last May, was really excited about getting a sweet machine, coming from an 08 Rhino. Well had it sitting in my trailer since September, went in my trailer and noticed the floor under the ranger was wet underneath, popped the radiator cap and empty. Called the dealer and said bring it in, it had just hit 25hrs so it hit first service. I said repair coolant leak and do first service. They called me last Friday the 9th saying it’s good to go. Went and picked it up, I said what do I owe you? They said no charge our fault for heater hose splice hose clamp being loose. Good dealership great customer service nothing but good things to say about them. Machine sat in the garage Friday night the 9th Saturday and all day Sunday. Went out looked underneath and no leaks, popped the bed up checked oil... full to the mark and really clean. Started snowing out so I started the machine and let it warm up, asked daughter if she wanted to go for a ride :) so we left made it up in the hills on paved road about 8 miles went to turn around and it sounded like gravel in the clutch or something.... it died, got it to restart but hard cranking like battery was dying. Through it in gear headed down the hill and it died under throttle, gravel sound again. Pulled safely to the side of the road hit the key and free spool sound of no compression... dropped it off Tuesday at Polaris they said they’ve never seen a 900 ranger blown up. They’ll be in touch.... it has 26hrs now and 208mi

·
Super Moderator
2,390 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
It is rare for sure. I wonder if they got all the air out of the cooling system.
I definitely want to hear what they come up with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got a call from the tech. Did a compression check and zero compression, they believe the oil pump failed. Polaris told them to tear the motor out and a new one on the way. Polaris doesn’t want them to tear the engine down cause they don’t want to pay shop time... I’d really like to see the internals. But at least it’s being replaced which makes me happy and nervous as I don’t want this happening again, I’ve only got 3 months warranty left. Hopefully my Ranger isn’t like a 6.0 Power Stroke. I’ll keep you guys updated.

·
Super Moderator
2,390 Posts
You should be fine. Sounds like your dealer and Polaris are taking care of you.
That is a really nice Ranger 900 you have.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here’s an update. Polaris is now saying that the dealership put no oil in it when they serviced it, and that I didn’t check it before I drove it. Which is a blatant lie. Now they don’t want to warranty it...... Now I’m getting really upset.

·
Registered
2019 XP1000 Camo
142 Posts
Sounds like it’s time for dealer to stand up for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They’re trying to stand up for me but Polaris is trying to hang them out on the engine by saying that they didn’t install oil in it. Dealer is really pissed to. Said they’ve quit talking to the Polaris guy at warranty division and have contacted the Polaris regional manager for the area. Supposedly he’s going to stop by and inspect my engine. Oh and oil pump didn’t fail. Oil port in head had a block in it and melted down the cam and valves in one head. And how in the F*** would it go 8 miles with no oil in it....

·
Registered
360 Posts
The engines leave the factory with oil. They are test run there! No service is required in the first 8 miles. There is oil there now, correct? Document EVERYTHING as you may end up taking POLARIS to court. Is there a lemon law in your state? State's attorney generals office? This is precisely why POLARIS has a pretty bad name when it comes to warranty service and quality control issues. They are their own worst enemy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes we have a lemon law in Washington state. But as stated it just had its first service at 25hrs and 200mi. Picked it up from the dealer as they did the first service and fixed the coolant leak. Got the machine back with 201mi on it and it blew up at 208mi. Assuming they put 1mi on it getting the air out of the system and confirmed that there were no more leaks.

·
Registered
2019 XP1000 Camo
142 Posts
Just curious did you check the oil after you picked it up?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes checked oil and for coolant leaks.

·
Registered
2019 XP1000 Camo
142 Posts
Then it’s on your dealer to stand up to Polaris.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great news as of 2hrs ago, my dealership contacted me and said regional manager spoke to warranty representative and said get a motor going to the dealership. I swung by the dealership and my service tech is awesome showed me the email chain between them and warranty ahole, if you guys could of only seen the crap he said to the dealership about them not filling with oil and me about not doing my part as an owner. He stated I’m not supposed to see that stuff.. I told him and all the other guys there thank you and shook all there hands. If I’d of been at a big chain dealership I’d of probably of been told I’m f’d ! but the small town dealer comes through! Feeling blessed. Now to hope I didn’t get one assembled on a Friday evening.....

·
Registered
2019 XP1000 Camo
142 Posts
Good deal. Keep your money local. So what if a volume dealer is $500 cheaper, could cost you a lot more down the road.

Who you buy from matters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally got out to break in the new engine, lots of winching due to soft melting snow pack, but lots of fun. Ran really good and sounded better then when the first engine was new. Time for service!

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts