Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was warned by a friend that Polaris has battled overheating issues for years and I didn’t listen. Bought a 1000xp today and it lasted for 3 hours, at less than 15 miles per hour, and it shut itself off due to being at 259 degrees. The fan never came on, so I’m assuming this is the problem. I’ve noticed others have problems with putting the machine in gear. I had to use all my strength to get it out of park and going from low to high. Things happen and I’m ok with that, but I’ll wait and see how Polaris and the dealership handles this $17,000 problem and keep I’ll keep you inform. I hope I’m not advertising for another manufacturer at the end of all this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was warned by a friend that Polaris has battled overheating issues for years and I didn’t listen. Bought a 1000xp today and it lasted for 3 hours, at less than 15 miles per hour, and it shut itself off due to being at 259 degrees. The fan never came on, so I’m assuming this is the problem. I’ve noticed others have problems with putting the machine in gear. I had to use all my strength to get it out of park and going from low to high. Things happen and I’m ok with that, but I’ll wait and see how Polaris and the dealership handles this $17,000 problem and keep I’ll keep you inform. I hope I’m not advertising for another manufacturer at the end of all this.
Thank goodness I wasn't warned. My 2020 Ranger 1000 is running like a sewing mahine. I compared// raced it at the dealership against a Honda 1000 before the agitated owner came out, but I exclaimed this Polaris I just bought is fast! He calmed down since my salesman was #1 at the place, but I kinda had to buy the unit at that point. No regrets, runs way cooler than my previous Honda. Now that sxs heated your seat!

·
Registered
2020 RANGER CREW - NORTHSTAR PREM.
19 Posts
that really sucks your ranger over heated. Im in northern BC, I ride mine on trails 100's of km long, dirt, gravel, blasted rock, river crossings, mud patches, I use it to haul bed full of firewood while towing a trailer full of firewood. I haven't yet had it over heat. I always check the coolant and oil on long trips or if I am working on it. I have heard people saying the rads get dirty quick and need to be washed out but where we are theres enough puddles and water crossings that seem to help with that.

Knock on wood, i've been luck.

Do you hear your rad fan even come on?

Mine is a 2020 northstar crew, what did you get?

·
Registered
2020 Ranger 570 Full Size Crew, OEM top, aftermarket front and rear windshields, Maxxis Ceros tires.
310 Posts
At 259 coolant temp it should have cooked the oil. I would have shut it off before then. Hope it turns out ok for you.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,937 Posts
Most probably and air lock in your system... Put something under your Ranger like and old tarp. Raise the front of the Ranger 1 foot, open the radiator, and run the engine
around 4500 rpm until the thermostat opens. Coolant will flow and the radiator will begin to burp the airlock. You will lose some coolant at this time but each time the
engine sucks down, add more coolant. 50/50 mix. As you continue this method you will clear the airlock, and will not be able to add any more coolant. You should be
able to run now with a high temp of the engine around 205. All it should cost you is time and under 1 gallon of 50/50 coolant.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello I am a similar Problem We Bought a 2021 Ranger XP Premium 1000
We have had Constant issues with it Either it Misfires and Doesn't want to run or it Overheats and the Cooling fan doesn't turn on.
Does anyone else have this problem

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a 2020 and I am nothing close to nice to it and have never had a single issue.

I have gone threw holes that have packed the radiators to the brim with mud and have never seen temps anything close to that. Yeah, once it can't breathe it runs quite a bit warmer, but you must have had some other issue with your cooling system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
that really sucks your ranger over heated. Im in northern BC, I ride mine on trails 100's of km long, dirt, gravel, blasted rock, river crossings, mud patches, I use it to haul bed full of firewood while towing a trailer full of firewood. I haven't yet had it over heat. I always check the coolant and oil on long trips or if I am working on it. I have heard people saying the rads get dirty quick and need to be washed out but where we are theres enough puddles and water crossings that seem to help with that.

Knock on wood, i've been luck.

Do you hear your rad fan even come on?

Mine is a 2020 northstar crew, what did you get?
Mine doesn't turn on and our Trails here are all Blacktop roads.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2021 Polaris Ranger XP 1000 Northstar Ultimate, and at 60 hours on the machine it overheated. It wasn't the radiator and it wasn't fuses, it turned out it has a bad engine cooling fan. So i have a 2 week wait before one comes in. There seems to be an endless supply of maladies that are all blamed on Covid. So it could be an issue more people will run into or not.

·
Registered
2017 Ranger Crew Northstar 6" lift 15" wheels with 32's
106 Posts
I think the air lock issue is worth looking into. I had a v8 sand rail that kept overheating... fans on or off....changed the water pump and it ran too hot. Finally, we got it in the right position some how and burped the radiator, like the guy described above and it ran cool like it was supposed to happily ever after. Like burping a baby. I would try the guy's method above. I spent a year trying to figure out the overheating problem and it was air stuck in the cooling system somewhere.

Hope you get it fixed. That is really frustrating.

Reactions: Spaz
1 - 14 of 14 Posts