Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the site as of this morning. I know this is probably redundancy on steroids for all of you veteran bloggers that have been on this site for a bit, so I apologize in advance. I am looking at both HD10's and XP1000's. Closest dealer to me is a CanAm dealer but I am willing to use Polaris dealer that is an hour away given it is on the way to my cabin in N. Minnesota.

Two questions. First, they appear to be pretty equal in specs and at this point, more of personal preference in styling. What in everyones opinion is the primary benefit one has over the other? (construction quality, comfort, utility, sound etc). I am only using for hauling firewood and plowing my cabin road general yard chores. Two, is the Northstar worth the extra spend and if can the dots be removed easily if I want open air use in the summer and fall?

Thank you, PJ

·
Registered
34 Posts
I honestly think its personal preference. My Polaris dealer is only 20 miles away so that is the main reason I bought a Polaris.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 XP1000 Camo
163 Posts
I have full cab with heat only, buddy of mine has Northstar. I prefer mine over his. I take my doors off in May and probably go back on in October.

With the amount of dirt and dust these things are in, I can’t see ac holding up.

As far as CanAm Vs Polaris it’s a coin toss. I went Polaris for more horsepower and I don’t think CanAm looks good up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have full cab with heat only, buddy of mine has Northstar. I prefer mine over his. I take my doors off in May and probably go back on in October.

With the amount of dirt and dust these things are in, I can’t see ac holding up.

As far as CanAm Vs Polaris it’s a coin toss. I went Polaris for more horsepower and I don’t think CanAm looks good up front.

Thank you, that’s what I was hoping to hear. I agree, AC is just one more thing that go go bad and if doors on a Polaris cab are removable, I’m fine. Im
More interested in keepin warm in the winter then I am keeping cool in the summer. Does the tilt-out windshield come with the cab version and does it have a wiper? My Polaris dealer here that I am going purchase from, makes the heated cab configuration called the Northland Edition. I guess it’s the Northstar but without AC. Last question, are 12’ trailers what most 3 seat buyers using to tow their Rangers? I plan to buy an aluminum trailer from same dealer. Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Ranger Northstar
189 Posts
I went through this. My research pointed clearly at the Polaris northstar crew.

·
Registered
2019 XP1000 Camo
163 Posts
When I bought mine I got roof, back glass , and tip out windshield. I’ve added myself the heater, premium roll down doors, wiper , stereo, lift and tires.

If your dealer offers a cab unit with heat only that’s what I’d get. You will need the wiper, at least I do. Manual roll down doors are nice. Takes all of 30 seconds to take them off. Make sure windshield is tip out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like my AC pretty good ! Yes the doors come off in about 5 min. So far I've never had a need to take them off

·
Registered
2021 Polaris Ranger NorthStar Ultimate Ghost White
6 Posts
After
Hello, new to the site as of this morning. I know this is probably redundancy on steroids for all of you veteran bloggers that have been on this site for a bit, so I apologize in advance. I am looking at both HD10's and XP1000's. Closest dealer to me is a CanAm dealer but I am willing to use Polaris dealer that is an hour away given it is on the way to my cabin in N. Minnesota.

Two questions. First, they appear to be pretty equal in specs and at this point, more of personal preference in styling. What in everyones opinion is the primary benefit one has over the other? (construction quality, comfort, utility, sound etc). I am only using for hauling firewood and plowing my cabin road general yard chores. Two, is the Northstar worth the extra spend and if can the dots be removed easily if I want open air use in the summer and fall?

Thank you, PJ
I battled through this same struggle for a few months until recently when I made my decision. Both are great machines, for me it came down to bang for buck. Since I was looking at an enclosed model the Polaris Ranger NorthStar Ultimate topped the CanAm HD10 Limited when it came down to value for the dollar. Probably overkill in regards to certain features, however when going all-in why not go ALL-IN?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did the same thing. Purchased a ‘21 Northstar but bought the Premium, not the Ultimate. Disappointed however in how loud it is in the cabin. Wasn’t expecting that but now I’m finding out that’s how loud these utv’s are. Anyone else think they’re loud? Last, do most of you buy a 12’ or 14’ trailer? Deciding on which to go with now. I just know it will be aluminum at this point. Thanks all

·
Registered
2021 Polaris Ranger NorthStar Ultimate Ghost White
6 Posts
I did the same thing. Purchased a ‘21 Northstar but bought the Premium, not the Ultimate. Disappointed however in how loud it is in the cabin. Wasn’t expecting that but now I’m finding out that’s how loud these utv’s are. Anyone else think they’re loud? Last, do most of you buy a 12’ or 14’ trailer? Deciding on which to go with now. I just know it will be aluminum at this point. Thanks all
Totally know what you mean with how loud it is in the cab. I’ve never been in one before so I didn’t know what to expect. It was a bit of a surprise when I fired it up. Guess we can’t have it all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In recent comparison .. between the Can-Am Defender HD10 Crew "Lone Star" and the Polaris Ranger XP 1000 Crew "Texas Edition" .. the biggest difference in price .. has been in incentives.

Polaris has their Ag Advantage for Ag Exempt ranchers resulting in a $1500 price reduction. Additionally .. I received an additional $750 discount email from Polaris, on Tuesday. $2,250 total reduction.

Can-Am discounts? Crickets! They had an Ag discount back in September.

Feature wise .. both come with 14" wheels. The Can-Am Lone Star comes with 28" Maxxis Big Horn 2.0 tires. The Polaris Texas Edition come with 29" Maxxis Cerros tires .. my preference for ranch work. A quick check .. showed I could get a set of the 29" Maxxis Cerros tires for about $600 making the delta $2,850. I could probably sell the "take off" 28" tires .. for $300-400?

Everything equal .. I think .. I'd buy the Can-Am.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Ranger Northstar
189 Posts
My neighbour just bought a defender limited crew. He put in a set of 30” tires. I went for a ride with him. Door quality isn’t what the Polaris is. The doors were opening up at the top as we drove 50 mph. The quality isn’t there. I’m glad I bought a ranger northstar.

·
Registered
2020 Ranger Northstar
189 Posts
Totally know what you mean with how loud it is in the cab. I’ve never been in one before so I didn’t know what to expect. It was a bit of a surprise when I fired it up. Guess we can’t have it all.
Go for a ride in a new defender if you think the ranger is loud! It’s quiet compared to the defender.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In recent comparison .. between the Can-Am Defender HD10 Crew "Lone Star" and the Polaris Ranger XP 1000 Crew "Texas Edition" .. the biggest difference in price .. has been in incentives.

Polaris has their Ag Advantage for Ag Exempt ranchers resulting in a $1500 price reduction. Additionally .. I received an additional $750 discount email from Polaris, on Tuesday. $2,250 total reduction.

Can-Am discounts? Crickets! They had an Ag discount back in September.

Feature wise .. both come with 14" wheels. The Can-Am Lone Star comes with 28" Maxxis Big Horn 2.0 tires. The Polaris Texas Edition come with 29" Maxxis Cerros tires .. my preference for ranch work. A quick check .. showed I could get a set of the 29" Maxxis Cerros tires for about $600 making the delta $2,850. I could probably sell the "take off" 28" tires .. for $300-400?

Everything equal .. I think .. I'd buy the Can-Am.

How do I get this discount email from polaris? Is this for a 2021? Ty

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maybe the enclosed cab, roof, doors, etc. make it seem louder than open with roof only?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts