Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried swapping the helix in the secondary to help with this awful clunk when first taking off? I’ve seen, don’t remember where, someone had tried it and the got a bunch of other noises.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Your engagement is going to be controlled by the Primary spring rate and clutch weights. The helix wont change the abrupt engagement ...I assume you are referring to the clunk from the initial engagement
The annoying noises you get when changing the helix is only if you dont get a helix with the back angle cut like the factory helix. Without the back angle it will make a lot of noises under deceleration

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your engagement is going to be controlled by the Primary spring rate and clutch weights. The helix wont change the abrupt engagement ...I assume you are referring to the clunk from the initial engagement
The annoying noises you get when changing the helix is only if you dont get a helix with the back angle cut like the factory helix. Without the back angle it will make a lot of noises under deceleration
So that being said, if I got a Non-EBS helix, that’s cut like the factory one. Would it get rid of that pop noise? Does such a thing exist for a 2021? I know they changed a few things for 2021

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@NSmustang55OL

I am actually installing a softer primary spring 80 -180 and the AA adjustable weights right now. I can let you know how much my engagement rpm is reduced later today ...assuming I can move after the stuffing myself with Turkey .

Haha. I tried the “red spring” from AA a week or so ago. It made my secondary spin at idle. Tried adding the shim as well. Same result. Ended up sending it back and ordering Gilomans torque monster kit. Yes, I’m curious to know if the softer spring works for ya.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
591 Posts
Pretty much guarantee it's this spring here.

Came with AA weights.

3-2-1 was a little heavy for my liking. But may be a good starting point for you Max.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well its all installed and I ran it with the cover off while on the jack stand.... No secondary spin at idle , no changes needed in secondary shims ( I do have some but not needed so far). Its quiet and smooth. My factory weights were real dirty with rubber residue and they were starting to get sticky and noisy. Although I have been blowing out, and deglazing the clutches I had not pulled the weights and cleaned the pins ....:poop:...Good thing I bought the adjustable weights ..Forced maintenance ..:LOL:

I will report back after I drive it.....yes 21 xp 1000 NorthStar crew

Also big thanks to Spaz for a lot of good advice (y)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts