Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got NS and I have 300 miles on it. I ride in Montana mountains and in low range, rear lock going down steep inclines, the clutch does this rhythmic lunging thing and then locks up the rear wheels putting the machine into a slide until I hit the gas or brake to stop. Service Manager and salesman have never heard of the “new” Polaris clutching doing this. Anybody having this problem? Does not do it in high range or low range on gentle slopes-30 degrees or less. 45 degrees or steeper is a problem.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Technical Service Bulletin
Engine Braking System
Dealers will remove the EBS feature from the primary clutch if the customer complains.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t think my Ultimate has EBS. It is on the Trail Boss model. Service Manager told me he would put a softer spring in the primary so the clutching is not so harsh/grabbing and locking the rear wheels. I wouldn’t want the EBS removed because I then go back to free wheeling down steep descents unless I brake or accelerate. My problem is I ran the Dura Clutch in my 2016 900 Ranger XP for 10,000 miles and now I am spoiled. I hate to do it but may have to order the Dura Clutch for this machine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the 21 in for it’s first oil change today. Whined about the clutch and was told the clutches are great and maybe I should use high gear and brake more on steep downhill runs. Really??? I have now started a case with Polaris in Minnesota to see what they think of my concern!! We will see!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Polaris factory tech says the clutch is operating as designed so now I know there is nothing wrong with it. I am going to live with it until the warranty is up and then do Duraclutch. Case closed!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took a ride on one of my favorite trails yesterday and I suffered greatly going down steep slopes. The rear wheels kept locking up in low range rear two wheel lock so I put it in high range and tried that. Had to ride the brakes until they got hot. Miserable day so I plan to have some discussions with the dealer and Polaris. Hate owning a machine I can’t used comfortably on steep trails.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you try putting it in 4wd? May help with the skidding of the rear tires
I have a friend who has a 21 Razr and he suggested I try putting mine in 4WD because it helps reduce the locking up on his Razr. I tried it and it did not seem to make a difference. I don’t think front end would engage anyway because my understanding is that 4WD only engages when rear loses traction i.e. spinning the tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Polaris factory tech says the clutch is operating as designed so now I know there is nothing wrong with it. I am going to live with it until the warranty is up and then do Duraclutch. Case closed!!
Can you tell me more about the Dura clutch? I saw it while on the site looking at tracks......what did you like or benefit form it? Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you tell me more about the Dura clutch? I saw it while on the site looking at tracks......what did you like or benefit form it? Thanks in advance for the help!
I put a Duraclutch on my new 2016 Ranger XP 900 after 100 miles. I hated the the way the Polaris clutch disengaged and free wheeled down steep trails. I also hated the harsh engagement upon starting to drive forward or reverse and generally rough starts. The Duraclutch started and reversed smoothly. No more harsh clanking clutches. These clutches hold back when going down a steep trail or slowing down from high speeds. You literally can forget about braking. I would let off the gas in high or low range and the machine would roll to a stop. If you are old enough, you would know what a Chevrolet power glide transmission is. Smooth two speed shifting Up or down. The only downsides are that the dealers hate them because they kick the factory clutches in the ass and they won’t service them. I took mine in after 2,000 miles to have the clutches cleaned and they told me they don’t know how to clean them. At 5,000 miles the Duraclutch did have to be rebuilt and it cost close to $500.00. I loved the clutches so much, I didn’t hesitate to rebuild the primary. The secondary was fine. I ran them 5,000 more miles and sold the machine. The Dura Clutch is phenomena. You have to run a machine with them and then you will have the same hatred I have for Polaris clutches. Yes, they are pricey. Is going to cost me $1,300 for a DC for my 2021 Ultimate 1000 XP. If you don‘t ride steep mountain trails much, you may not need DC. The dealer tells me none of the farmers and ranchers they sell to complain about Polaris clutches. Of course they don’t complain-they run on flat ground checking cattle, hauling hay and running around the ranch or farm. My two cents!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The owners manual says to use 4WD when going up and down and across hills.
I hope this fixes your difficulties.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The owners manual says to use 4WD when going up and down and across hills.
I hope this fixes your difficulties.
I question 4WD working when going downhill. I have used 4WD in my 2016 XP 900 many times and 4WD never engages unless the rear tires lose traction. I get using it as the manual describes but when I tried 4wd going downhill it did not solve the problem. Thanks for pointing out what the manual says.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts