Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how other owners feel about this UTV. It's my first Polaris and likely my last. After spending around $25k on the unit, it's been one disappointment after another. The engine is certainly powerful, but beyond that everything seems poorly designed, poorly made. I had a major quality problem around 100 miles that left a poor taste in my mouth, but even after that I've seen nothing to get me excited about the ride. I am wondering if it is just me.

Few of the things I've seen: No parking brake for $25k. The cab gets ridiculously hot but the windshield doesn't open without a hex wrench. And if you can't open the windshield easily, it makes sense you want to remove the rear glass and stow it while you're riding, but there's no provision for that. It's so noisy I can't see why they even sell soundbars for it. Stuff like that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It has Park why do you need a brake? Other than a fail safe maybe? Cabs do get hot. Tint will help. I mean keep in mind the cab is small and almost half of it is glass. And the doors get opened and closed alot so its hard for it to keep up.

Now i will agree they are a little noisy. I feel like there could have been more sealing around the back seat box to dampen the sound. Other than that I love mine.

·
Registered
2021 Polaris Ranger 1000 XP Northstar Premium - Pursuit Camo
38 Posts
Owning one of these is about the experience if you ask me. They're supposed to be a little rough around the edges.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had the tip out windshield installed at time of purchase, windows are getting tinted today & I turn the a/c on when its hot

·
Administrator
2,608 Posts
No parking brake.. Most sxs have one or the other but not both. If you only have one the park in the transmission is better because it is a positive lock and doesn't wear or need adjusting like a brake.
Heat.. I take my windshield out and doors off but never take the rear glass out. That is the coolest and least dusty setup without a/c.
Noise.. The Ranger 1000's and 900's are among the quietest of all sxs's.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm wondering how other owners feel about this UTV. It's my first Polaris and likely my last. After spending around $25k on the unit, it's been one disappointment after another. The engine is certainly powerful, but beyond that everything seems poorly designed, poorly made. I had a major quality problem around 100 miles that left a poor taste in my mouth, but even after that I've seen nothing to get me excited about the ride. I am wondering if it is just me.

Few of the things I've seen: No parking brake for $25k. The cab gets ridiculously hot but the windshield doesn't open without a hex wrench. And if you can't open the windshield easily, it makes sense you want to remove the rear glass and stow it while you're riding, but there's no provision for that. It's so noisy I can't see why they even sell soundbars for it. Stuff like that.
Hmmm, why did you buy it? I'm asking for what reason; fun, work, other? What was your major quality problem? I chose not to have an opening windshield because our door windows roll down, and the opening window just allows for more failure points. I added a parking brake because when I park on hills, I don't like the stress on the transmission park pin. That is a personal quirk. If one does not park on hills, park works just fine. Even parking on hills, the park pin is designed to work just fine. So far, at $33K, we are satisfied. We got the premium, not the ultimate, we are a cheap date But, after riding in other's machines, our Ranger is pretty plush compared to everyone else's. I hate to be this blunt, but I think your expectations were/are miscalculated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for responses. I bought the unit for work. I have a 20 acre parcel I do some agriculture on and I'm renting some additional land about 10 miles away. I wanted to be able to drive the UTV back and forth the 10 miles and also up/down hills, in fields and so on. So I got this unit as I felt it would have enough power to drive reasonably fast on pavement back and forth and be enclosed so that the commute would be reasonably comfortable in the spring/fall. My requirements did not include either plush or fun, but I really need reliable and functional.

The Ranger had a prop shaft failure after a few hours use (less than a tank of gas) when I was in a remote location with no cell service. Initially the dealer implied I would need to pay for the repairs, which did not help. Polaris eventually had the repair done for free, however. Once I engaged Polaris support, they were really good.

Thank you again for all your responses.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thank you all for responses. I bought the unit for work. I have a 20 acre parcel I do some agriculture on and I'm renting some additional land about 10 miles away. I wanted to be able to drive the UTV back and forth the 10 miles and also up/down hills, in fields and so on. So I got this unit as I felt it would have enough power to drive reasonably fast on pavement back and forth and be enclosed so that the commute would be reasonably comfortable in the spring/fall. My requirements did not include either plush or fun, but I really need reliable and functional.

The Ranger had a prop shaft failure after a few hours use (less than a tank of gas) when I was in a remote location with no cell service. Initially the dealer implied I would need to pay for the repairs, which did not help. Polaris eventually had the repair done for free, however. Once I engaged Polaris support, they were really good.

Thank you again for all your responses.
Your issue with a dealer seems to be endemic. you will hear lots of conflict between dealers and purchasers. I'm not pleased with my dealer either. Polaris does seem to care about their product though.

·
Registered
2022 Polaris XP 1000 Northstar Ultimate: 2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2 Rspec
7 Posts
It has Park why do you need a brake? Other than a fail safe maybe? Cabs do get hot. Tint will help. I mean keep in mind the cab is small and almost half of it is glass. And the doors get opened and closed alot so its hard for it to keep up.

Now i will agree they are a little noisy. I feel like there could have been more sealing around the back seat box to dampen the sound. Other than that I love mine.
I miss the parking brake too. Taking it out of park on any degree of a grade feels like machine abuse. I put the brake springy thing on mine for these situations. Otherwise the Park setting is okay.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Why not use the A/C , our 2021 Northstar crew premium A/C works well/get after market darker tint for glass and definitely get after market (Large size) sun visors (this model really needs them).
Check your rubber sealing around all doors ..we found it not in groove in several places.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts