Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2021 Premium has had jerky starts since the day I got it with 1 mi on the ODO. I know for sure the belt was never abused and have given it every chance for a smooth break-in.
I had hoped the problem would ease with some mileage but now with close to 100 mi it is just as bad. When trying to maneuver the Ranger around bldgs or other equipment it is pretty disconcerting to not have smooth and easy lo speed acceleration. Riding the brake hard is the only safe way.

Are others seeing the same thing with their 1000's and has anyone had any luck with a dealer having any solution?

Surely it's not going to take a clutch and belt upgrade to fix such a basic problem...

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 2021 Premium has had jerky starts since the day I got it with 1 mi on the ODO. I know for sure the belt was never abused and have given it every chance for a smooth break-in.
I had hoped the problem would ease with some mileage but now with close to 100 mi it is just as bad. When trying to maneuver the Ranger around bldgs or other equipment it is pretty disconcerting to not have smooth and easy lo speed acceleration. Riding the brake hard is the only safe way.

Are others seeing the same thing with their 1000's and has anyone had any luck with a dealer having any solution?

Surely it's not going to take a clutch and belt upgrade to fix such a basic problem...
If the clutches are not aligned close to perfect it will give you a jerky engagement.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Nature of a cvt system. Get a Gilomen clutch kit for your machine and it will smooth your jerkey starts waaaay out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nature of a cvt system. Get a Gilomen clutch kit for your machine and it will smooth your jerkey starts waaaay out.
I am going to try the Hunterworks Belt and check the clutch alignment. If that does not improve things, I am gonna jump on a full Gilomen clutch and tune !

·
Registered
479 Posts
I am going to try the Hunterworks Belt and check the clutch alignment. If that does not improve things, I am gonna jump on a full Gilomen clutch and tune !
If you go that route. Definitely spend the little extra and get his adjustable clutch weights.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Something isn't right. Polaris 900 engages like a dream. The cheap old 500 was more of a nightmare. My new 1000 premium I expect the same level of engagement as my 900. It has been excellent with belts etc for me. 22,000 km and maybe 4 belts. Clutch showed signs of wear at 15,000 and needed a rebuild but just bought a new clutch. It never pays to rebuild one in all my yrs of snowmobile ownership etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Well my 2018 has same problem. Multiple belt adjustments, engine tuning, resulting in little change. Dealer has no answer. Post if you find the answer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well my 2018 has same problem. Multiple belt adjustments, engine tuning, resulting in little change. Dealer has no answer. Post if you find the answer.
My 2019 Ranger had the same problem and i went with a Gilomen clutch and also did the ECM tune. What a big difference that made. I think i spent around $1,300 bucks but it was well worth it and with the Ecm tune you get around 100 hp instead of 82hp.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yep Gilomen tune, secondary clutch, primary clutch kit and belt smoothed out mine. Mine would slip a little as rpm increased and then grab hard. I smoothed out my clutch key pockets and the sides of the keys until they would move freely. Now I can bump the pedal and feel it engage and it’s easier to finesse in tight conditions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts