Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that they have changed the clutches in the new machines. But what exactly did they change from the 2020 models. From an earlier post on the new models it looks like all the models have a little bit different clutches. Maybe just 1 way to 2 way bearings. I'm not smart enough to know from looking through the parts diagrams to see the difference. Also has anyone had any issues with the 2021 clutches.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for that info I hadn't seen the update on Gilomen's sight for the 21's. Last time I looked he only said that the 21's were the same as the older ones.

From what I saw on an earlier post. That I can't find now. The drawings showed that each trim level had some different parts. For example the trail boss has electronic descent control so may have different parts. Sometimes though when they put out those diagrams they aren't updated from the year before. Just wondering if anyone knew for sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you look on Polaris Parts and Accessories | PolarisPartsNation.com
There are at least 3 different bearings on different models.

Sorry don't know how to post the diagrams from my phone

·
Registered
65 Posts
Part of the confusion is coming from incorrect parts diagrams online. For example look on Rocky Mountain ATV Polaris parts diagram vs Parts nation ....For the same model 2021 XP1000 NS Crew Trail Boss

R21RSV99AC/BC RANGER CREW XP 1000 NSTR TRAIL BOSS EVAP (2021) (R03) (R21RSV99AC/BC) OEM Parts

Show's a one way bearing with EBS or ADC?

V.S.

2021 Polaris RANGER CREW XP 1000 NSTR TRAIL BOSS EVAP (R21RSV99AC/BC) Drive Train, Primary Clutch | CyclePartsNation Polaris Parts Nation

Show's a 2 way bearing

Gilomen is saying all 2021 models are a one way Primary bearing

2021 Model Update: The 2021 Model Ranger 1000 XP models have improved clutches compared to the 2018-2020 models. Polaris focused on improving reliability. Performance is not improved at all. The primary clutch has a new fan / fin design on the inner sheave to improve cooling. The spider assembly is revised with improvements to the rollers and pins. The EBS assembly is slightly improved to help prevent sticking but the bearing itself is exactly the same part number used on the 18-20 models and is prone to failure. The secondary clutch has a new inner sheave design with a retaining clip and boss to prevent the bushing from falling out like we saw on the earlier models. These improvements look good and should help with longevity. I still expect to see issues with the one way bearing failing on these which is where I would recommend our two way modified bearing and EBS lockout shim or simply upgrade to the P90XT clutch assembly for unparalleled reliability.

So what's the deal ?

My 2021 NS XP1000 Crew ultimate has a 2 way bearing and functions and feels basically the same as my 2018 RZR XPT does with regards to hold back . No engine braking

Update..... while I was writing this I stopped and called EPI Performance. There clutch experts and have always be excellent at answering tech questions. Their understanding was that the Primary bearing on 2021 model XP 1000 are one way bearings. But they agree the diagrams for many / most models show a 2 way bearing Pol part # 3515043

I also had a call in with Gilomen and Brady called me back after I finished talking with EPI.
Brady said they have seen then both ways ...some models do have the one way bearing with EBS ( like all Trail boss models with ADC) and many other models like mine have the 2 way bearing ..2021 XP1000 NS Crew Ultimate .

So there you have it ... Total Polaris confusion again. Depending on what model you have it could be a Polaris part # 3515043 ... 2 way or Polaris one way bearing with EBS that has multiple part numbers like in this picture
Medium.png

If your unsure the best thing to do is open up the clutch cover pull the belt and see if it spins both ways or only one way

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. The northstar definitely needs the two way bearing for all the idling to keep the hvac going. The non cab models you always shut off when stopped.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2021 XP and have only put about 20 mi on it so far. I think the clutching seems to work very well. In work mode I can ease it along with no jerking. I am also very impressed with the down hill engine braking. My 2014 ran away going down hill but this 2021 really holds the Ranger back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am having discussions with the dealer and have a case open with Polaris regarding the junk clutches on my 2021 Ultimate 1000 XP. Locks the rear wheels in low range diff lock when going down steep trails. They say that is the way they are designed to work. BS. I am spoiled. Put a Dura Clutch in my 2016 900 XP and ran 5,000 smooth miles until a rebuild and then another 5,000 smooth miles. Polaris clutches are built for people who do not go on steep mountain trails in Montana. JUNK!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts