Polaris Ranger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I agree. I’m retired Law Enforcement so of course I always get the question, “What’s the best handgun to shoot”? My reply is, “The gun that you feel comfortable with and will enjoy to shoot”! Some are better than others but if you don’t like it, you won’t practice shooting it! Same with everything else we buy. If you like it, you will work with it. If you don’t like it, find the one that you do so you can enjoy it! I may have liked the Can Am if I chose it. But I know I like the Polaris so I will be more patient with the problems that may arise with it. I really appreciate everyone’s feedback.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Son picked his defender hd10 up yesterday,

When I trade it will be a defender Canam , very impressive, comfortable seats , quite , well built, dorman style air cleaner,

I really liked it , he got 4 door which I don't need ,

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

When I trade it will be a defender Canam , very impressive, comfortable seats , quite , well built, dorman style air cleaner,

Thanks for the reply. I’m not sure I took into consideration on which machine is quieter of the 2. Is that a personal opinion of who owns which one or is one noticeably quieter than the other?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can am 1000 XT Defender is way more quiet. You can easily carry a conversation even without a cab. The northstar is louder inside overall. I had the non cab Can Am. I don’t know about the smaller Can Am loudness

·
Registered
2020 Ranger Northstar
267 Posts

Give it time. You will soon see why nobody buys the defender. Plus nothing built well enough for tracks.
E1AC00D0-CD46-4678-823F-950045F2F076.jpeg

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well ^ IMO something modded like that fails... kinda can’t blame the manufacturer on it. My personal opinion having owned both. The can am is a more reliable and overall higher quality built machine. Stock vs stock of course. Both my 570 Full Size and XP1000 Northstar have been pretty troublesome with not a lot of hours on them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well ^ IMO something modded like that fails... kinda can’t blame the manufacturer on it. My personal opinion having owned both. The can am is a more reliable and overall higher quality built machine. Stock vs stock of course. Both my 570 Full Size and XP1000 Northstar have been pretty troublesome with not a lot of hours on them.
What we are seeing as well ,
The mechanic that works at the dealership that sells 3 or 4 brands says he's seeing less problems with can am , he lives by dad and he was always a polaris guy till tht new design can am came out

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
When I first began doing the research between the Ranger and the Defender I spoke to three mechanics at our Polaris dealership. They also sell the Can-Am. While talking to them they showed me their lot and in for repairs was about 3 to 1 Rangers over Defenders. They said they don’t get as many Defenders as Rangers. So that had me leaning toward the Defender. With that in my head I still decided on the Ranger. This past weekend I stopped by to talk to my salesman and I was talking to one of the mechanics that had recommended the Can-Am earlier. I was having them show me some flip out glass on the Rangers and of course they had nothing in stock so they wanted to see if they had any in the back that was being worked on. So we walked to the back and there was a lot of machines back there. However there was only two Rangers. There was approximately eight Defenders in for some types of repairs. Another mechanic walked over and joined the conversation. I asked the mechanics if they remember telling me that they worked on more rangers than they do defenders. They looked around and said, “It seems like we have had a run on them lately to be worked on”! I then asked the mechanics, “Do you think due to the shortage of rangers and the volume of Can-Am‘s that are now being sold do you think that is why you are having more defenders come in for repairs? They all looked at each other and one said, “Quite possibly. Good point”! I just wanted to throw that out there for everyone.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I’m not saying one is better than the other. I just thought that was very interesting in reference to everyone saying that there are more Rangers in the shop than Defenders. I haven’t owned neither one yet. Lol. So I don’t have a horse in this show yet. But I will keep posting once I get it to let anyone who’s interested in how’s it running. As long as we are all enjoying our machines, that’s all that matters. 😁👍🏻

·
Registered
71 Posts
I honestly hope I’m one of the few having the issues with the Polaris brand. Just odd I had my pick of numerous Polaris and both times have been apparently bad picks haha.

There are things I love about it too don’t get me wrong. I love the Ride Command. I love the looks. I do like the HVAC. I do wish the heat was better seems like if I’m idling it doesn’t heat near as good as when I’m driving. In a friends John Deere the heat will run you out of the cab if you want lol.
The Can Am with just slightly less HP seemed to have more low end grunt. The Can Am turf mode seemed better. The Polaris 4wd seemed to be a little more grippy. Seats in Can Am as far as my HD10 XT anyways was way better. The non XT seats were about the same as Polaris IMO. Can Am is way more quiet as far as engine, squeaks, etc...

·
Registered
71 Posts
also keep in mind I had the NON cab Can Am. I don’t know if their cab will be loud or not. I know the Northstar is sometimes annoying at the engine noise and actually the fan motor is really loud too. Small cab problems lol

·
Super Moderator
2,459 Posts
Guys, there are 10 times more Rangers out there than Defenders so when you see 10 Rangers in the shop to 1 Defender then the ratio is about the same.
Polars sxs market share is 3 times Can Am's.
The biggest part of Can Am's market by far is sporty sxs's.
RZR and Ranger market share is close to 50/50.
Best I remember the first year for Defender was 2017. Edit: Actually September 2015

·
Super Moderator
2,459 Posts
Can Am sells tracks for the Defender on their web site and at the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2,459 Posts
The Polaris AWD system system seems like it is better because it is a locker in the front.
The large majority of Defenders come with Visco Lok which is inferior to to the Polaris locker, which every Polaris sxs with AWD has. The only Defenders to get a real locker are the top of the line and this has only been available in the Defender for 2 or 3 years. The Visco never actually locks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Also learned of order accepted status today. Should see my Trail Boss in 6-8 weeks.
Sounds like you & I are in the same boat. Lol. They didn’t give me a time frame but at least things are starting to move at Polaris!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Per my local dealer today, Polaris is giving ship dates between April 9 and May 21 for new Trail Boss.

I like the sound of April best.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Last I heard Polaris had 45% market share. More volume is always going to make more repairs. So far the dumb stuff on my Ranger could have been prevented if people actually put pride Into their work.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Per my local dealer today, Polaris is giving ship dates between April 9 and May 21 for new Trail Boss.

I like the sound of April best.
I like the April date better also. I need to call my guy at Polaris to see what he says.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts