Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving up a mnt. on our farm. My EV was in 4 wheel drive-low range. I came to a low area where there was a good bit of mud. My back tires started spinning but my front tires never would engage/ pull. I backed up several times to try again and I finally made it through but any idea why my 4 wheel drive didn't work properly. This is a new 2016 that I've only used twice. the 4 wheel drive worked fine last weekend when I used it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Looking at the service manual for my 2010, it looks there's really only two/three things involved in engaging the front - the drive clutch in the front diff, the control switch, and power to it (plus various connectors). It looks (at least for 2010s) like the power is the main 12vdc chassis power circuit, so if that was out (fuse), lots more stuff wouldn't be working. Is the indicator light in the switch coming on? Not too likely (IMHO) that the switch would just suddenly not work. Ditto on the clutch. Perhaps you can listen closely to the front diff while switching the control switch off and on to see if there is an audible "click" to confirm that the electric clutch is actuating. But my vote is that you have a connector that has gotten pulled loose or broken.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the switch does light up when I select the 4 wheel drive mode, but I do not hear any kind of click when going from 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive. I don't recall if it clicked last weekend or not. I know there is an audible click when going to and from turf mode.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
On my 2011 EV the 4WD works correctly. the light comes on at the switch but I do not hear anything click. the click may b when the rear wheels loose traction. i can definitely hear the difference when the front differential engages. Although, i have never liked Polaris's so called 4wd. only engages when rear wheels loose traction. Sometimes i need front wheel steering in muddy trails to keep from following the ruts. Would b nice to have the front wheels pull even though its just one side. Probably the only way to b sure is to lift all 4 tires off the ground and engage the switch and see if the front turns. i have a 2000 Sportsman that i noticed the 4wd not working and it was the ground not connecting so i did a by pass that i found on youtube and it worked.

·
Registered
61 Posts
First off its not 4wd it's an AWD system, only few reason it's not engaging, 1 bad switch in cab, 2 an or no power going thru to front diff connection 3 armature plate in front diff 4 roller cage damaged. Have you checked voltage at switch an diff? That first thing to check before tearing into the diff

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Your right.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
have not checked voltage yet. It's due for the 25 hr. servicing so I'm going to let the dealer check it. It's also still under warranty. I'm guessing it has something to do with power. It worked two weekends ago and I didn't do anything that would have caused an issue between now and then. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, same here. I replace my batteries on my 2013 and thought I knew which terminal to connect the mysterious "12 Volt Battery" wires. Couldn't they have said whether they were positive or negative? And the driver's side seems to have come from the factory taped off for no connection whatsoever. I found a picture of the passenger side being connected to the positive side of the rearmost battery. But this gets me nowhere. Most of my panel switches are still dark. Only the Forward and Reverse lights work. Meanwhile, I only have one-wheel drive in all three ranges, no headlights. Huh.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts