Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and getting ready to purchase my first side by side. After checking everything out, thanks to this site, I settled on the Polaris ranger 500 efi, largely because of the bench seat. I thought that the 500 would seat 3 and just realized it only says 2.

I would like to be able to ride myself, wife, and daughter. My daughters 2 now and we have a golf cart now and we can all ride comfortably in it.

My question to those of you with a 500 is will we fit or do I need to get the 800? What is the exact width of the seat? I really just want the 500 because of the price and the ability to fit in my truck but riding the 3 of us safely is a must.

Any help would be appreciated

Gerard

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I think it depends on the year of the machine. My 2006 500 would seat three very well, but I think some newer 500s are smaller.

Check the specs for width of your machine... my 500 is 60 inches (5 feet) wide and it seats three non-huge people comfortably.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank for the reply I just realized that I was watching Polaris advertisements for the 2009 models. It looks like they changed the frame on the 500 around 2010. the 800's are 60" wide now and the 500 is 56". Doesn't seam like a big difference.

It doesn't look like the new 500 will fit the three of us.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ride 2 kids in the back seat with seat belts and 1 kid in the middle of the front without. Always slow, and slower through turns. But plenty of room in the 500efi

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like the 500 should work. Were not big people and we can all fit on my golf cart fine. It measures 43" and the ranger is 56.6". i saw on here somebody added a seat belt to the middle of theirs. i will go that route,the wife wants 3 seat belts and i got to keep the wife happy.

i really wanted some first hand knowledge and if it was practical. Thanks for the replies.

ALfwlmth what back seat do you have? do you have a crew model or a seat in the bed?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have the 800XP. I also have a 2 year old daughter, and we use the center buckle to put her car seat in. My wife and I on each side, and her strapped in in the middle, and there is plenty of room. Remember, she is smaller now, but they get bigger. To me, the extra room of the 800, plus more power, towing, and such was worth the extra money.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally went and rode both. We decided on the 800. Even at 2 it's a tight fit for the three of u in the 500. Now I jst have to wait for the sales tax holiday to bring it home.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ger,
Sorry for no reply earlier. I have the crew with bench seating in the front and back. I would like to add a seat belt in the middle on both. Where do you find them?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm not sure where to get the seat belts. i had seen somewhere on this forum where others had installed them and i think they just used automotive belts. I have also seen them for sale in golf cart catalogs that may work on the ranger.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is a question I have had as well. I currently have an 04 500 which is approx 56in wide and has a 3 person bench. The new 500s are the same width, but listed as 2 persons. I note from pictures (haven't been able to cfm side by side yet) that the cab on the new 500 looks smaller. In a way that might be a plus for me in the woods as I bash the roll cage on the 04 a lot (ATV trails are narrow). Can anyone cfm the cab or seat width in a 500 mide size?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i cant help with exact dimensions but i do know i rode both. we could have made the 500 work, but i dont think it would have been comfortable for long rides. i ended up with a 12' 800 and very pleased. its got plenty of width, maybe too much for tight trails. i think in the long run the 800 was the better choice for 3 people.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts