Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first Ranger, a 99 6X6 500cc with 350 hours and have a few questions:

Does Series 99 mean Rangers made in 1999?

My Ranger is pretty cold blooded and takes full choke for awhile before it will continue running and takes half choke for quite a while before it will idle down and even when warm the idle will sometimes surge and I have to sit and wait for it to slow down in order to shift. Are there adjustments on the carb that will make it easier starting or cure the surging idle?

I adjusted the parking brake to the 8-12 clicks called for in the manual and the rear brake pads look plenty thick, but normal braking takes a pretty hard press on the pedal. Is this normal? Or should I be looking at the front brake pads or bleeding the hydraulic system? It doesn't feel spongy; it just takes a heavy foot to stop.

Has anyone tried Dunlop KT805 Quadramax rear 25x11-10 tires? These seem to have good reviews and are the least expensive I've see on line (about $300 for a set of 4 including shipping - I got new unmounted front tires with the Ranger).

I plan to use this Ranger for utility work, cutting/hauling wood for the stove, picking up leaves, and light trail riding around home in hilly Arkansas. I assume the Dunlop tires would be OK for this use. Any comments? Thanks

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Does Series 99 mean Rangers made in 1999?
Probably.

My Ranger is pretty cold blooded and takes full choke for awhile before it will continue running and takes half choke for quite a while before it will idle down and even when warm the idle will sometimes surge and I have to sit and wait for it to slow down in order to shift. Are there adjustments on the carb that will make it easier starting or cure the surging idle?
The carb could probably use a good cleaning. I would try that before making any adjustments.

I adjusted the parking brake to the 8-12 clicks called for in the manual and the rear brake pads look plenty thick, but normal braking takes a pretty hard press on the pedal. Is this normal? Or should I be looking at the front brake pads or bleeding the hydraulic system? It doesn't feel spongy; it just takes a heavy foot to stop.
I would definitely check it out. My buddy's '01 and my '06 don't require a heavy foot, so there's probably something going on with yours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for your help I just got my 6x6 its still waiting on the cabe to come in its told cold to ride much but I have but 3 hr on it Just need the cabe in the Plow have a good New Year !!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
can anyone give me a parking brake pad number for the 2014 800 Ranger 6x6, I cant find anything after 2012 for the 800 6x6. the only number it throws out there is 2203147. I have looked at the factory site and they want to sell the whole assembly with no brake down of pad parts numbers..

·
Registered
2014 Ranger 6x6
21 Posts
That's the only way Polaris sells it, as a whole assembly. You can get pads that fit, via amazon, ebay, etc.

On my machine, the only way to put new pads in is to drill out the rivets, and reinstall with bolts that have the right shoulder dimensions. Easy enough to do, and it saves quite a bit of money, but takes time. I even thought about doing that as an exchange service for folks, but I'm not set up yet to deal with it.

I think on this site, or one of the other Polaris Ranger sites, someone had a thread on how they installed the new parking brake pads, but again, easy enough to figure out. I think on some of the early models, instead of the riveted units, they actually used bolts and nuts. If you have one of those, real easy!

I eventually went with an Amazon sourced unit.

Polaris 2012-2014 Ranger 800 Crew Ranger 800 Caliper Pbmech Rivet S 1911785 New Oem

1 - 5 of 5 Posts