Polaris Ranger Forum banner

A/C whining noise when slowing down.

5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  chief1426 
#1 ·
Hello I have a 2021 polaris ranger XP 1000 northstar ultimate 3 seater that has a whining noise when I am using A/C and almost coming to a stop. It doesn’t happen when I don’t use A/C. Has anyone experienced this issue or know how to resolve it?

#2 ·
Welcome Paul. I think my ‘20 does it, but never consistent enough to determine if its the A/C causing the issue. Perhaps the compressor is not on every time i come to a stop therefore it dont do it. It happens so quick that i can’t shut off the A/C fast enough to test this theory out. Sorry I can’t offer more help other than to confirm I have a random chirping noise from the back on deceleration also.

#3 ·
Every time I use my A/C and the bike is at operation temp and I go to slow down it sounds like a turbo spooling down. I turn my A/C off while driving and it doesn’t do it anymore. I seen an older post on here and some mentioned that it maybe the A/C belt???

#6 ·
I also have a 21 Northstar Premium. My AC has the same whining sound when coming to a stop. Kind of sounds like a turbine winding down. When I had it in to the dealer he said that it is a normal sound. Not sure if that is a true statement or not but mine seems to be working fine. It has made the sound from day one.

#8 ·
Anybody resolve this issue? Having the same issue with my 20’ northstar ultimate for about the past 1000 miles, changed idler pulley(It was bad and making a different noise on start up, that went away with new pulley) belt seemed to be in good shape, noise will go away when I shut the compressor off but will still make slight squealing noise between 5-10mph on deceleration intermittently. It’s Worse when compressor is on. Going to replace serpentine belt just for shits in the near future. Note: 4600 miles on machine, and gilomen primary clutch with 2 way bearing and hunterworks drive belt, a/c works as it should, frustrating noise to have on a 2 year old machine!

#9 ·
I sat in the back passenger seat a couple weeks ago and it was certainly coming from the accessory drive belt area. I have yet to change the belt and when i hear it there isn’t enough time to shut off the AC and see if it goes away. AC is almost always on. Winter for defrost then summer to stay cool. Hopefully it goes away with a new belt.

#10 ·
It’s definitely frustrating, will not make any noise with the bike on jack stands, only while under its own load at deceleration, noise will go away mid squeal when I shut off compressor while it’s squealing. Will update Any change/no change when the new belt comes 👍. Then a hate call to the dealer if anything 😂

#11 ·
Yesterday I finally changed the belt. Cut the old one off (per manual) loosened the compressor so the new one could be routed, then spun the crankshaft while keeping pressure on the belt. I bought a tool (not the Polaris one) for installation/removal of this belt but it didn’t work. The Polaris tool might make it easier but i can attest it is not required. After some cruising yesterday and part of today there was no noise, but then as i slowed down for the last time before heading home it might’ve made one short chirping sound.

FWIW the old belt looked amazing with only some minor visible wear marks on one edge. Clearly was making noise but i don’t think the belt itself is going to be the answer for ridding my machine from this annoyance.

#12 ·
Mine does this as well. On mine it feels like it is keeping the belt engaged longer, damn near until I come to a complete stop. I can definitely feel that it is still engaged and hear a sound like a sequential gearbox on a racecar when the A/C is on and I start decelerating. It does not do this with the A/C off. I assumed it was doing some kind of black magic keeping the belt engaged to 'drive' the engine and keep it from quickly dropping to idle and stalling when the A/C is on.

#13 ·
Mine does the same thing as well 2021 model. I found its the compressor clutch bearing. it finally locked up and broke my belt. I'm researching the clutch for the compressor because I hate to spend 503$ on a compressor when it's just a bearing failure on the clutch. I'm sure once I take it off I will be able to cross reference it to a Vehicle compressor clutch assembly. This just happened and I had to go to work so I will have to wait a few weeks before I can find out if that is possible or not.

#14 ·
Mine does the same thing as well 2021 model. I found its the compressor clutch bearing. it finally locked up and broke my belt. I'm researching the clutch for the compressor because I hate to spend 503$ on a compressor when it's just a bearing failure on the clutch. I'm sure once I take it off I will be able to cross reference it to a Vehicle compressor clutch assembly. This just happened and I had to go to work so I will have to wait a few weeks before I can find out if that is possible or not.

#16 ·
Anyone confirm a problem here? Our 23 ultimate does the same spooling sound, i can turn it on and off with the AC in the cab, at times it feels like a belt jumping cogs. Been to dealer, had video and was sent to Polaris. They all seem to ignore the issue and say it is normal. We have decided with a three-year extended warranty to run it hard until something breaks, I guess it is our only option.

#17 ·
My 23 is quiet as a mouse for now. My 2017 was very load though but never quit. There was a point when breaking the unit in that the AC would squeal like metal-on-metal disk rubbing together when decelerating between 30 and 20 mph. Took it in for the first service and to have that checked out and low and behold it wouldn't do it to save my life. So, like you are keeping the warranty up to date on this unit.