Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can Am Defender XT HD10 Vs Ranger XP 1000

I like both about the same. I like the interior and exterior of Ranger better. Ranger seems to have more horsepower but I think the defender has more torque. The fit and finish of the Defender is better. The 4x4 is better on the Ranger. The Ranger is a bit jerky at slow speeds.

I like both equally. I can’t decide. Why should I get one vs the other?

I’ll probably buy within two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
I’ve own a ranger with a full Polaris cab and have been in a can-am with factory cab a few times I can say that the Polaris cab is ten times better than the can-am if your thinking of putting full cab on.

·
Super Moderator
1,850 Posts
If you decide on the Ranger you will find a ton more of accessories. None of the other side by side
machines even come close. From lights to doors, roofs, heaters, etc. Choose wisely.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree the cab is better on the Ranger.

The accessories are about the same now, when Defender first came out there wasn’t much. Not the case anymore. Especially for what I’d want. Defender XT comes with winch, top, and upgraded wheels and tires ($15999). Only thing I’d add is windshield and back glass right now. Doors later

Not sure on the Ranger XP. I’m going to another dealer today to look.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree the cab is better on the Ranger.

The accessories are about the same now, when Defender first came out there wasn’t much. Not the case anymore. Especially for what I’d want. Defender XT comes with winch, top, and upgraded wheels and tires ($15999). Only thing I’d add is windshield and back glass right now. Doors later

Not sure on the Ranger XP. I’m going to another dealer today to look.

If you are just getting a “stock” ranger or defender they are about equal. Now the xmr vs hl there is no comparison. The nets in the xmr are a joke. Hl comes with nice doors. Prior years defenders I believe had motor under the seats like the pioneer and teryx and now can am has learned from Polaris.

I think there are more rangers out there so in turn you have more people talking about them and also more people to help you when you do have issues. Each sxs will eventually have issues and I know for a fact when I post on here asking for help someone somewhere has had the exact issue and it will save me time and money vs going to dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2,236 Posts
I really like the Defender. My local dealer sells both Can Am and Polaris and I drove one when they were new to the market.
But for the places I go I won't buy one because of the Visco Lock front end.
I don't know why they don't put a real locker up there.
If that is not a problem for your use then I think you would be happy with either.
But there are other things I also like better on the Ranger like the longer travel suspension and ground clearance and power.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I’m 70/30 Ranger after today. Been to several dealers in the last two days( my job allows me to see the customers as I see fit, just so happens they’ve all been close to dealers this week lol). I think I was quoted a good price today on a 1000xp eps camo. It’s the deluxe or premium model with the stitched seats. Only accessory I’m adding is the roof. Is $15,100 a good price?

A couple things have swayed my decision this week. I printed off the spec sheet on both just to see the differences on paper. CanAm has bigger bed, more storage, flip down console, a little longer wheelbase or overall longer.

Ranger, more HP, more torque,ground clearance, better tires, looks better, nicer dash and glove box, ride is better, and I’ve been quoted about $1500 less than CanAm. Now the price really isn’t apples to apples. You get a roof and winch with the CanAm.

What’s really strange and probably led me to Ranger more than anything, the two CanAm dealers I’m trying to deal with haven’t called me back once since Saturday. I’ve talked back and forth with both and even went to see both yesterday and Friday. The new rebates started today and both were supposed to call me today with the new deal. Haven’t heard anything from either. I’m not going to chase them down to take my money. Funny thing both are also Polaris dealers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Choose a Dealer you feel you can work with, one that will fix you up fast if you break down, one that will give you a deal a year from now on parts and accessories. Buy from a Dealer with a solid reputation for after sale service.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tennessee

15,100 is with top.

Dealer has been in business for 50 years. This would be my first deal with them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So far so good. Installed winch, led headlights, turned rear shocks up, tried to adjust headlights.

A couple things I need help with.

My tip out glass windshield has a gap at the bottom driver corner, can I loosen the cage and maybe get it to align better?

What’s the deal with the headlights shining the tree tops? I loosened up all three screws and that didn’t help, so I scotched a piece of rubber under each one and it helped. A little lower wouldn’t hurt. I’d like to turn the front shocks up also, but I’m afraid it’ll point the lights higher.

Is there anyway to get the jerky clutch to not jerk when you first start moving?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I never had to adjust my shocks at all I found the bike ran very smooth with the headlights I'm not sure I haven't been out in the dark yet and there is a clutch kit that everyone swears by its front gilomen but again I haven't found the clutch to be that bad but I would like the tune and clutch kit from them I'm just afraid of warranty issues

1 - 20 of 23 Posts