Polaris Ranger Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 Polaris Ranger 800 EFI LE White Lightning
52 Posts
Got mine working without the check engine light being triggered ? , I am working on a Delphi plug and play harness for the brake input + to kill the remote start when brakes are applied. If all goes well, then I will distribute them for what I paid for the parts at cost to contribute to the cause. I hate cutting wires if I don't have to..;D
Have any luck with the fix, or care to share the schematics so I can build my own?

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are four wires on your ignition switch. Two oranges, green I believe goes to starter and red is constant power. Looking at ignition switch from the back upper left is orange ignition wire bottom left is green starter wire bottom right is orange brake wire and top right is red constant power. Use those four wires and follow directions too hook them up and then use the test light to find your tail light wire in the back of the light switch and hook that wire up. Then your good to go. Pretty simple once you look at the directions. Figuring out the wiring I give you was the hardest part.
Would you know or have you tried to Remote start the Ranger if you accidentally leave it in gear?

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are four wires on your ignition switch. Two oranges, green I believe goes to starter and red is constant power. Looking at ignition switch from the back upper left is orange ignition wire bottom left is green starter wire bottom right is orange brake wire and top right is red constant power. Use those four wires and follow directions too hook them up and then use the test light to find your tail light wire in the back of the light switch and hook that wire up. Then your good to go. Pretty simple once you look at the directions. Figuring out the wiring I give you was the hardest part.
Good evening, I’m trying a BD on a 2020 Ranger. Have you any experience on them? I wired it up just like yours. No Good, I was able to start it if I pushed start on the key fob only if I pushed the brake pedal. I know it’s been a while since installing yours but do you have any thoughts ?

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
No help here, My 2013 was a totally different starting system. I might be able to help if you have the Wiring Diagram from the Service manual. Love to give it a try anyway.

·
Registered
35 Posts
On my 2019 I had to hook the ignition 1 wire to ignition and ignition two wire to my brake wire on the back of switch to get it to work. So the machine word think the brakes were pressed for it to start. I didn’t have to do this on my 2018 though.
Good evening, I tried wiring my 2020 with the Bulldog according to some posts. I can’t get it to work. In reading your post I noticed you used ign.2 to the brake wire. So I understand, you have the ign.2 tapped into the orange brake wire on the ignition switch? ( and not use the blue brake wire from the Bulldog?)
thanks in advance
john.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
What Model Ranger? I'll see if I can fine the wiring schematic. Might be able to help then.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I found the schematic. 1st, looks like the brake has to be pressed to start. Here is what I would try...
  • P4- Ignition #2 from Bulldog- This wire is after the brake pressure switch, so to emulate the brake being pressed there needs to be 12 volts here. There will be 12 volts here as long as the Bulldog is engaged.
  • P1- Ignition #1 from Bulldog- This is the regular Ignition send.
  • P3- Starter/Crank from Bulldog- This will be like turning the key to start which connects P4 and P3 on the switch.
  • P2- Leave alone.
  • Brake Switch input on Bulldog is used to stop the cycle and turn off the ignition. Since Polaris needs to have the brake pressed to start. This wont work. I suggest running 12 volts to a simple single pole toggle switch and then to the Brake input on the Bulldog. You will need this if you have to program the bulldog or the remote. Flipping the toggle switch will be like holding the brake on.
  • The Parking lights are just for confirmation mainly. I would suggest just putting a 12 volt LED or something in the dash.
Other than that it should work from what I see.

Let me add. I put a single pole single throw toggle on the main 12 volts to the Bulldog so I could easily pull the power if it went nuts. Left it hanging inside the dash. Mine pops right off so easy to get in there. I also mounted a single pole single throw toggle in the dash that goes between the Ignition #1 from the Bulldog and P1 - Ignition wire on the switch. That way I can always release the bulldogs function. Otherwise to stop the the bulldog without the remote you have to let it run out the 15 minutes its set to run. That can be changed but the Brake switch I said to add will be needed for programming.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I found the schematic. 1st, looks like the brake has to be pressed to start. Here is what I would try...
  • P4- Ignition #2 from Bulldog- This wire is after the brake pressure switch, so to emulate the brake being pressed there needs to be 12 volts here. There will be 12 volts here as long as the Bulldog is engaged.
  • P1- Ignition #1 from Bulldog- This is the regular Ignition send.
  • P3- Starter/Crank from Bulldog- This will be like turning the key to start which connects P4 and P3 on the switch.
  • P2- Leave alone.
  • Brake Switch input on Bulldog is used to stop the cycle and turn off the ignition. Since Polaris needs to have the brake pressed to start. This wont work. I suggest running 12 volts to a simple single pole toggle switch and then to the Brake input on the Bulldog. You will need this if you have to program the bulldog or the remote. Flipping the toggle switch will be like holding the brake on.
  • The Parking lights are just for confirmation mainly. I would suggest just putting a 12 volt LED or something in the dash.
Other than that it should work from what I see.

Let me add. I put a single pole single throw toggle on the main 12 volts to the Bulldog so I could easily pull the power if it went nuts. Left it hanging inside the dash. Mine pops right off so easy to get in there. I also mounted a single pole single throw toggle in the dash that goes between the Ignition #1 from the Bulldog and P1 - Ignition wire on the switch. That way I can always release the bulldogs function. Otherwise to stop the the bulldog without the remote you have to let it run out the 15 minutes its set to run. That can be changed but the Brake switch I said to add will be needed for programming.
Thank you. I’ll try this tomorrow. I also got a leaking battery in the remote. I cleaned it up and rigged up a power supply. I asked eBay seller to send a new remote. I should have gone with the compustar
Thanks again. I’ll keep you informed of my progress.
john

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am working on a electronic transmission interface so it will only start in park, boards should be here in 3 weeks as I have done this in my 2019 can am X3. I have done the brake interface where you hit the brake to start the unit and once running you hit the brake to shut it off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you. I’ll try this tomorrow. I also got a leaking battery in the remote. I cleaned it up and rigged up a power supply. I asked eBay seller to send a new remote. I should have gone with the compustar
Thanks again. I’ll keep you informed of my progress.
john
Ok, I am up and running. I ran wires to the dash but had no momentary toggle for brake signal / 12+ , for programming and shut down. I’ll pick one up when I get to town some day. For now I’ll tap them together to shut engine if I choose not to use the remote. Also the Security feature ( brake shutdown) is not in the picture. Naturally when started with the BD remote the brake lights remain steady on. All in all I am satisfied, from a distance the brake lights are noticeable knowing the Ranger has started. where did you purchase the service manuals?

Thank you once again for your help.
john

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I got it here Link but the site isn't working today. You can just get the pages you need, so I just downloaded the Main wiring diagram.

Glad you got it figured out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the CEL problem, you need to use a Diode on the brake wire connection. that way when you pulse the brake wire using a "trigger when start signal" it won't back feed and kill the remote start. Also tells the computer "you pushed the brake to start" so it doesn't cause the CEL to come on. This is what I did in my 2011 800 I have yet to install in my 2018 1000XP, but plan on installing once it comes home for the winter season.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts