Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a daily lurker in this forum, but I check back once a month or so to keep up with Ranger EV happenings. Folks on this forum were so helpful as I learned how to maintain my machine, I thought I would share my experience with AGM batteries since I see the topic pop up every once in awhile.

One year ago this month, I purchased two brand new banks of Discover AGM EV12A-A batteries. I really, really wanted the Li-Ion package...but just couldn't justify the expense. Instead of 7-9K for Li-Ion, I spent $3200 on the Discover AGMs. These particular AGM batteries are "traction" batteries, designed to be cycled daily, primarily used for fork lifts, indoor airport transport, and other commercial applications. I went to great lengths to get 8 batteries that came off the production line in sequential order. Another reason for the Discover batteries--the DeltaQ was already programmed for these types of batteries...just switch to #43, add a temperature sensor, and they were plug & play.

One year later, the batteries "feel" as if they have gotten stronger over time...very subjective, nothing quantitative that I can point to for analysis. While I don't put too much stock in the hour meter, the machine now has 1600 more hours on the meter since I've replaced the batteries. Ironically, I've replaced all A-arm bushings twice over the past year (hopefully SuperDaves the 2nd time around will bear fruit), but haven't done as much as check the cables for tightness with regard to battery maintenance. I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

The machine is used to manage feral hogs in Texas. Farmers and ranchers pay us to keep pressure on the hogs...once the hogs are hunted in an area, they become scarce (and go to the neighbor's property and avoid the hunting pressure.) Between myself and two hunters, I estimate we put about 60 miles per week on the machine managing about 14,000 acres of hayfields and cropland. The majority of the travel is very slow speed, mostly flat terrain with the exception rough travel over feral hog damage/rooting, and with occasional spurts of speed on oilfield/whiterock roads. On a couple of occasions, I used a Garmin and found that we could put 25-30 miles of travel on it in one night in the larger 2,000+ acre ranches.

Again, I am very, very satisfied with these maintenance free batteries. They serve my purpose well. There's been a few occasions where we hunted all night and the machine was getting sluggish by daybreak, but that's a rare occasion. And...even on these occasions, plug it in...and it's ready to go with a full charge by nightfall.

I hope someone finds this helpful.

· Premium Member
480 Posts
Testing & Reporting

+1 on that. More information from guys that are Testing and USING stuff is what we need!
FOR SURE! Telling other members on this forum the results of your modifications and the experiences you have had is what makes this the best source of information on the Ranger EV. I encourage follow up messages too. Redleg92, I really hope you set a calendar appointment to report again next year. Thanks for a great effort.

· Registered
8 Posts
I'm not a daily lurker in this forum, but I check back once a month or so to keep up with Ranger EV happenings. Folks on this forum were so helpful as I learned how to maintain my machine, I thought I would share my experience with AGM batteries since I see the topic pop up every once in awhile.

One year ago this month, I purchased two brand new banks of Discover AGM EV12A-A batteries. I really, really wanted the Li-Ion package...but just couldn't justify the expense. Instead of 7-9K for Li-Ion, I spent $3200 on the Discover AGMs. These particular AGM batteries are "traction" batteries, designed to be cycled daily, primarily used for fork lifts, indoor airport transport, and other commercial applications. I went to great lengths to get 8 batteries that came off the production line in sequential order. Another reason for the Discover batteries--the DeltaQ was already programmed for these types of batteries...just switch to #43, add a temperature sensor, and they were plug & play.

One year later, the batteries "feel" as if they have gotten stronger over time...very subjective, nothing quantitative that I can point to for analysis. While I don't put too much stock in the hour meter, the machine now has 1600 more hours on the meter since I've replaced the batteries. Ironically, I've replaced all A-arm bushings twice over the past year (hopefully SuperDaves the 2nd time around will bear fruit), but haven't done as much as check the cables for tightness with regard to battery maintenance. I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

The machine is used to manage feral hogs in Texas. Farmers and ranchers pay us to keep pressure on the hogs...once the hogs are hunted in an area, they become scarce (and go to the neighbor's property and avoid the hunting pressure.) Between myself and two hunters, I estimate we put about 60 miles per week on the machine managing about 14,000 acres of hayfields and cropland. The majority of the travel is very slow speed, mostly flat terrain with the exception rough travel over feral hog damage/rooting, and with occasional spurts of speed on oilfield/whiterock roads. On a couple of occasions, I used a Garmin and found that we could put 25-30 miles of travel on it in one night in the larger 2,000+ acre ranches.

Again, I am very, very satisfied with these maintenance free batteries. They serve my purpose well. There's been a few occasions where we hunted all night and the machine was getting sluggish by daybreak, but that's a rare occasion. And...even on these occasions, plug it in...and it's ready to go with a full charge by nightfall.

I hope someone finds this helpful.
May I ask where you purchased these Discover AGM EV12A-A batteries? The only vendor I've found online is Standard Battery, price about $460/per. Thanks

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
May I ask where you purchased these Discover AGM EV12A-A batteries? The only vendor I've found online is Standard Battery, price about $460/per. Thanks
I called Discover and found a vendor within about a one hour drive of where I live here in Central Texas.

They have a very informative website with one exception...they don't have a "where to buy" that's easy to find.

· Registered
1 Posts
Just did the same, and for the same reason :)

although I'm not as mad at the hogs as you seem to be :grin:

We are in Llano, just west of Marble Falls, so I had the local golf cart guy order the batteries, do the install and upgrade the wiring for me all at the same time.

Thanks for the info!

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hope they work for you as well as they are working for me. Give us an update down the road!

I did fail to mention one thing I do to try and keep my batteries balanced--rotation. Somewhere in my research (I think it was on a solar forum), I read it was a good practice to rotate batteries in series. The premise being the batteries on the outside are worked harder than the batteries inside of the series. I do recall there being some kind of testing and with proof to support the article.

I rotate mine about every 3-4 months...probably overkill.

· Registered
3 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but as a new member I cannot send Redleg92 a message. I am in the process of installing Vmax AGM xtr12-155 batteries in a 2018 EV. I am extremely interested in finding out more about the temperature sensor installation. What type did you use, how did you install it, and how did you attach it to the Delta q charger? I have found this forum super helpful as I try to revive my EV. It has the usual: bad batteries, corrosion, mystifying owner's manual that alternates between information for EV and gas powered models. Thanks, Warren.

· Registered
187 Posts
I am going on two years with the Vmax in my 2016 EV and pleased with the preformance. I do not use a temperature senor. The charging algorithm I use is 51. In the summer with high temperatures day/night, I leave the hood open and put a portable box fan on the charger that keeps it cooler. The Delta Q will be hot to the touch during the charging cycle if I did not do this. Winter time I don't use the fan.

· Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the information. It is reassuring to hear from someone who is utilizing the same batteries, and that things are going well. I'll put that algorithm to use. The amount of knowledge on this forum is truly incredible. I have learned a lot reading the posts.

· Registered
3 Posts
So I checked the charging algorithms on my charger, model 912-4854-02B, and discovered it does not have 51. Searching on this forum, I found a posting that said algorithm 126 was an option for charging these batteries, so went with it as my charger does support it. So far, looks good. Battery Vmax xtr12-155 AGM.

· Registered
1,740 Posts
So I checked the charging algorithms on my charger, model 912-4854-02B, and discovered it does not have 51. Searching on this forum, I found a posting that said algorithm 126 was an option for charging these batteries, so went with it as my charger does support it. So far, looks good. Battery Vmax xtr12-155 AGM.
I have heard that 42 is recommended for V Max, not sure one is better than others. I used 151 for Full River suggested by Manuf rep and that it is temp compensated

· Registered
187 Posts
I have heard that 42 is recommended for V Max, not sure one is better than others. I used 151 for Full River suggested by Manuf rep and that it is temp compensated
Acheron, my bad, the algorithm I am using is 151, not 51 as I told you. . Senioritis.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I realize this is an old thread, but as a new member I cannot send Redleg92 a message. I am in the process of installing Vmax AGM xtr12-155 batteries in a 2018 EV. I am extremely interested in finding out more about the temperature sensor installation. What type did you use, how did you install it, and how did you attach it to the Delta q charger? I have found this forum super helpful as I try to revive my EV. It has the usual: bad batteries, corrosion, mystifying owner's manual that alternates between information for EV and gas powered models. Thanks, Warren.
Sorry, I just saw this. I used a Batteryminder ABS-248 temperature sensor because I already had one, and it fit by simply pulling the pins from the connector as shown in the picture attached. The sensor can be had on Amazon for about $25.
Electrical wiring Gas Electronic engineering Cable Wire

· Registered
1 Posts
I am new to this forum. This is a great thread and has helped me out a lot. That being said, I have a couple questions.
First the background, I have a 2020 Ranger EV with a couple of bad batteries and a couple that are weak. Having to get new batteries I am looking into the alternative of going with AGM's or possibly Lithium Ion.

I read on several threads about the need to deal a couple other items if I make a change to a different battery type.

One, changing the charging algorithms. How do I know what algorithm my 2020 Ranger presently uses? How do I change the algorithm? How do I know which algorithm to change to? Is there a manual online or some type of documentation I can get that will tell me?

Two, I have read about the need to do something (or not) about a couple of red jumper wires. What are these wires for and will I need to do something with them? Where are they located?

Three, the comments Acheron and Redleg92 address above. Do I need to add a battery temperature sensor, or is the charger (and the algorithm it uses) in my 2020 Ranger smart enough to know the battery temp when charging?

Are these questions the same for both AGM and Lithium Ion batteries, or are there other questions I need to know about (and get answered) if I make the jump to Lithium Ion?

Thanks in advance for your response(s).

· Registered
1,740 Posts
To check algorithium unplug MPC plug and count the blinks on side of charger or dash charge indicator probably 7 and 3. Not sure what you mean by jumper wires..there are some algorithium codes that are temp compensated snd temp sensor is not needed such as 151 for Discovery DC 150ah. If you use Allied you will have to use their charger or Voltronixs reprograms your charger and controller

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.