Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. I've searched the forum but haven't found the info I need. Hoping that perhaps someone could help me.

I have a 2011 Ranger EV and the original batteries are getting weak. I'd like to replace them with AGM batteries. My question is: Which charging algorithm do I set into the Quick-Q charger for AGM's? I don't want to destroy a new set of batteries by charging them improperly.

Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
343 Posts
What AGM battery are you contemplating ?

The problem with normal AGM Deep Cycle batteries is for a same size as lead acid they are generally 1/2 the AH. For example the Optima Yellow Top has only 75AH.

The only AGM I would consider is the new Trojan.

Trojan has come out with a new Reliant AGM Deep Cycle with "CMax" technology which they say gives 35% more endurance.

They do have a 6C12 model which is 12v at 150 AH and 89#s. For the convenience of not watering your giving up 10 AH with our system and gaining 24#s. Plus they will cost more, @ + $100 each; and are good for only 300 cycles ( -100 less than our flooded batteries).

I don't see a power advantage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lou: Thanks! That's what I needed.

DJWorm: I haven't decided exactly which AGM battery yet but I will likely take your advise and go with the Trojan. The reason I want to get away from the flooded batteries is that I'm tired of having to deal with the water and corrosion issues.

We just use this Ranger EV at our lake house to haul people and stuff back and forth to the beach so it doesn't get heavy use. Long range capability/ total energy is not a big priority.

I've had two GEM cars with AGM's for about 5 years and they are still going strong. They have had zero battery maintenance and the battery terminal connections show no corrosion at all. I just keep them plugged in and they always work. I want the EV to be the same.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I have had no corrosion issues w mine since changing the algo to 11. They don't even get wet around the. Caps. If range is not a issue you might consider using or replacing 1 bank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts