Polaris Ranger Forum banner

Air Conditioning Vents

9K views 50 replies 14 participants last post by  Cold Iron 
#1 ·
We made these to help the defrost vents blow the cool air towards us. Use to just close them, but found it cools much better having the cool air blow towards us. It slips down between the windshield and the dash stays in place very well.

Wish our 21 NorthStar crew cooled as well as the old body style 18 NorthStar crew that we traded in. Our 18 had a much larger cooling coil than our 21, and it kept us nice and cold!
Wood Flooring Hardwood Creative arts Plywood

Rectangle Wood Flooring Beige Floor

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

See less See more
#4 ·
Interesting. I close my defrost vents too. Will have to look into this.
Do you have a template you could share? Or send me a few? haha
I’ll get one for you. Give me a few days and I’ll get you fixed up! I made a quick drawing of it, but it didn’t come out very well, but it will give you a good ideal of what it will look like.

Handwriting Rectangle Slope Font Parallel

#10 ·
Wyo, curious if you have tinted windows yet? I'm in Austin, Tx and we have the same machine. My windows are dark all the way around including windshield across the top 6". First thing I do with every vehicle I own is dark tint the windows. Thanks for the drawing, I'll try to make some as well.

#11 ·
No sir they are not! I really didn’t know if the tinting would stay on very well, or if it would scratch from all the dust we have here in Wyoming. No paved roads around us. Closest paved road is about 5 miles away.

I’m going to be in your neck of the woods in about a month. Going to drive from Buffalo, Wy to Portland Tx, then up to Seguin. From there to Spring, then to Huntsville and after that head back home. Going to be a quick 17 day trip. It’s been about 7 years since I’ve been back to Texas. Boy am I ready for some good food!

#12 ·
Small world. My son graduated HS last year and we took an 8,000 mile motorcycle trip around the US. We went through Buffalo on our way from Devil's Tower to Ten Sleep. Now a year later and he is graduating tech school in the Air Force and we are driving from San Angelo, Texas to Anchorage, Alaska starting September 9th. Our route has us passing through Buffalo again heading to Alaska! Not quite as fun in a car but I'm looking forward to the Canadian Rockies!

Reactions: WyoMud
#13 · (Edited)
It is a small world for sure. My wife and I are both retired Air Force! We met in Alaska, Eielson AFB outside of Fairbanks. Back then we were both in transportation. I cross trained into Huey’s, and she went in to missiles, Titan II, then later into Space Launch on the west coast of California launching a lot of classified satellites into polar orbit. Married in North Pole Alaska. We drove back up there the year I retired, 1994. Your going to love it!

Wyoming is our kinda place. We absolutely love it here. We live in a large ranch (not ours) and get to fish and hunt in it. 3 stocked ponds, and about 2 miles of creek access for brown trout. Just an amazing place. Ten Sleep is where we go for Indian Taco’s! Not too many people here. Most can’t stand the cold winters. That’s one of the reasons we moved here. Your going to be going right past Red Grade, one of the best places to head up in the mountains outside of the town of Big Horn just before Sheridan. Great pizza there too, at the Big Horn mercantile.

Hope your son has a great career in the Air Force! We sure did. I still talk with a lot of people I served with, some almost 50 years ago. I had the opportunity to serve with some wonderful people!

#23 ·
With a tune like something from Terry the temp at which the fan engages can be adjusted down. I also adjusted mine down for summer time but then let it run normal for the winter when i want to get more heat in the cab. Thats one advantage of the handheld tuner like a Dynojet or the new type that Terry carries.

#28 ·
The Dynojet Power Vision 3 is a small handheld unit that plugs into the diagnostic connector and can flash the ecm with tunes you manipulate or ones from others such as dynojet. When you first get it and plug it in it will lock itself to the VIN. The stock file is downloaded and retained on the device while it swaps out the tune file. You can go back and forth between them. I have a couple files i use. Winter with tracks so the speedo is more correct and also have the seat belt requirement disabled and normal fan engagement and summer for tires where I adjusted the speed calibration a touch for my 28” tires. In the summer i let the fan come on at the lower temp. There is a software package that is free from dynojet where one can make some adjustments and test and tune. I see the current cost from their site is $450ish and when i paid $400 for mine a couple of years ago additional licenses for another VIN could be purchased for $225. The diagnostic capabilities are nice too. You can scan and clear codes on machines and not just the one VIN used for the tuning.

#36 ·
If you don't tint your windows, you will not be happy. Period. You're basically sitting in a green house with a heater under it. And before you say "but my car doesn't feel like that" your car has UV blocker in the glass (polarized glass). That's why you see that honeycomb in the glass when you look at it with polarized sun glasses. Tint the glass or deal with it. 3M sells a UV blocker that's clear of you don't want them dark. Not sure how much that will help as I haven't tried it but, I've heard good things about it when used on house windows.
Not trying to be an a$$ but that's just how it is.

#42 ·
Here is what I learned. With engine running at 3500 RPM for 15 minutes with windows closed there should be a 15⁰ difference between air temp and ambient temp. I can only get a 8⁰ drop measuring the air right at the vent.
It is going back for warranty work.

#49 ·
Cold Iron.
I am also interested in your sound insulation. I would be all in on a 12dB noise reduction..
I will have to search more closely to find the exact materials you used. Any more info you could provide in that regard would be great. I don't see second skin or mass loaded vinyl listed on the linked website. And how many square feet do you think were used in your machine? I also have a three seater.
Did you install everything from inside the cabin? Such as the piece behind the upper seatbacks. Or did you do that from the engine compartment side?
Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.