Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2018 XP1000 used with about 700 miles about a week ago. It had 26" Proarmor attack tires that were extremely rough and knobby.

I ran Maxxis Ceros tires on my last Ranger and really liked them. Found a lightly used set for sale and I purchased them, only catch is they're 29x9x14 and 29x11x14. The guy had them on an XP1000 but went bigger. I didn't think that much of it and got them mounted but noticed a big difference in size after they were installed.

I'm not a hot-rodder but I do plan to trail ride with the machine some.

Are these tires too big / am I just asking for driveline trouble? I know some people are running 30"+ tires, lifts, etc but I also read plenty of horror stories of stuff getting wrecked too.

Just curious everyone's thoughts on a 29" tire and driveline durability/strength. Thanks!

(pic of my machine for reference, no rubbing and shocks still on the lowest level)

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think you will be fine.

I run 30's on my Ranger and am not worried about the driveline at all. (And I beat on it when we ride parks)

Blew out a CV boot on the last trip, but I am pretty sure that is 100% driver error as I was burried in a mud hole and had a large amount of material jammed in the brake, CV, and inside of the wheel when we exited the other side of the hole. Just kept riding as apposed to taking the time to dig it all out of there.

Upgraded to Rhino 2.0 axles due to the angle with the lift and how hard I am on them. Had 1800 miles on the stock ones, first issue I had and like I said, driver stupidity caused the issue.

So if you are just running the 29's with you suspension and machine stock... I personally would not worry at all

·
Registered
88 Posts
29" tires come from the factory on the '21 & '22 NorthStar Ultimate models. So, I'd imagine you can run them just fine as well. It's not like the NorthStars have a lift or anything different from the factory.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes me feel a little better. Tho understanding the new models come with more beefed up trans/diff (I think).

I think I've watched so many reverse chain popping, gear case blowing videos I'm extra paranoid.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I’m no suspension genius, but my thoughts are that lifts change geometry of the suspension, which can stress the CV’s….increased tire radius raises machine without much change in geometry of the dangle, but bigger heavier tires cause more stress on CV’s.

I run stock tire sizes but have a slight 2” lift and haven’t had any issue other than expected axle replacement after time. Iffin were me, I would stress over it as it’s not an extreme change that would require suspension beefing. When time comes for axle swap….I would go Rhino as they’re heavier duty and have more angle range. In the meantime, ride it and enjoy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts