Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i just got back from a 2 month road trip in the Campervan and noticed that they are launching the new model.

Im really interested to see what we get, and how it is priced.

Keen to grab one to tow behind my camper, as much as i've loved my ice SxS

I'm looking forwards to not having to wear ear plugs all the time and the ability to communicate with my passenger.

·
Super Moderator
480 Posts
I am! Looks like Polaris might actually market a real Electric Ranger. The videos are not telling us anything but the use of a ASE J-1772 charging handle should mean Level II charging which is 240 VAC delivered between 30 and 80 Amps. This might also mean a Lithium battery pack. Hope it costs less than the 2021 Jeep Wrangler we just bought.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am! Looks like Polaris might actually market a real Electric Ranger. The videos are not telling us anything but the use of a ASE J-1772 charging handle should mean Level II charging which is 240 VAC delivered between 30 and 80 Amps. This might also mean a Lithium battery pack. Hope it costs less than the 2021 Jeep Wrangler we just bought.
It will be a Lithium battery pack for sure, i'm guessing between 7kwh and 14kwh, i'm assuming there will be different range models

I didn't pick up on the ASE J-1772 charger handle, that would be great to speed up charge time, i've got 230 volt 62 amp feed in the workshop

As for cost... that is the big?????

i'm hoping it is priced sensible

·
Super Moderator
480 Posts
According to the trade press this is the first product of the Polaris and Zero Motorcycles corroboration. This gives me real hope that unlike the first Lithium attempt by Polaris this one will be well engineered and reliable. Zero Motorcycles has been building credible electric powered motorcycles for several years and seem to know how to produce a good product.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd have to guess that with it being corroboration with Zero, that most of the issues worth have been identified leading to better outcome.

I was expecting a bigger EV push from Polaris when they brought Brammo in 2015, but at least its happening now.

It'll be interesting to see how much noise it makes under power in real life, i tend not to trust factory advertising, but in episode 4, it sounds like an improvement, but i want to just hear the engine and drive chain without music.

episode 1

episode 2

episode 3

episode 4

·
Vendor
507 Posts
I think its an awesome addition to the lineup. Its easy to focus on the sporty side of the industry, but most don't understand that the vast majority of SxS's/UTV's are industry specific work vehicles. Just about everywhere you look you'll find one. The local high schools, factories, police and fire departments, highway and city street departments, city and state parks, and of course...the everyman that uses it for work. The EV will definitely excel in these areas. It may not have the battery life needed for long sporty trail rides, but its plenty for daily work...and its going to be a total workhorse with those absolutely insane torque specs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You make a good point SuperATV, a lot of the UTV's are a workhorse.

We overlook a large park, security has 3 electric golf carts and the garden staff have about 5 UTV, comprising of diesel Kobota, Toro and John Deere.

I can tell you that the noise of the rattling diesel models are quite loud, i'm looking forwards to when they change over to EV

They have started to change over to Stihl Battery equipment, in regards to blowers, trimmers eta, i've noticed a huge noise reduction

They just plug it in during breaks, same with the security team.

I'm expecting a decent range from this release, i can see a day trip being no issue, multi day adventures will require a generator.

to be honest, if i had to use a generator, it wouldn't be the end of the world, as it has other benefits such as topping up my lithium battery pack in the camper while out on rides.

·
Registered
650 Posts
J1772 is simply a mains outlet that is not live until you complete a handshake to the vehicle. It would only charge faster if there is a significantly larger charger installed in the vehicles that could use the higher amperage power supply. Its a bit like putting a 32a plug onto yiur ranger and plugging it into a 32a supply. It wont make any difference to how it charges.You cant use the CCS version which charges directly to DC as the Ranger pack voltage is way outside the voltage range used in CCS.
If The Polaris price is too high then the new Ranger will be good news for vehicles like Hisun. I have designed a Li ion conversion for these in the UK, and I have to say they are a really well built vehicle just that the factory dry cells are rubbish. Swap them out and you have a really good vehicle. If Polaris dont get this right, they will quickly lose ground. Here the Ranger is about £15k the Hisun about £9K .Here they are not a lifestyle leisure vehicle but working vehicles (Farms and land estates, golf courses etc) , our market is very different from the US market. All but one of the 20 Li ions I have done have been commercial use, and that one supported a private 20acre land around a private house, and was in daily use.
I do hope Polaris have got it right this time. The Brammo saga was not a good time for them.

·
Super Moderator
480 Posts
"J1772 is simply a mains outlet that is not live until you complete a handshake to the vehicle. It would only charge faster if there is a significantly larger charger installed in the vehicles that could use the higher amperage power supply." Fully agree; my point is that by having the J1772 (as seen in the videos) Polaris engineers may have opted for a 240 VAC charging scheme that is much more robust than our Delta-Q based 120 VAC/20A systems. It is possible that they just used the handle for consumer convenience and the charging system is still 120 VAC... I am hoping not!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't see Polaris looking at staying at 120 volts for charging, 220-240 volt is a better fit for faster charging and a better fit for pushing the benefits of lithium charging.

Im assuming that they will offer AC level 2 and DC level 1 under the J1772 standard, it makes sense to allow for faster charging, as a lot of working farms, commercial developments have access to 220-240 volt.

I'd like to see it to be at least 240volt and 32amps, but i'm optimistic, maybe they will offer a lower charging rate for the smaller kWh capacity model and up the charging capability on the higher kWh rated range model.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I think think this new machine will be a huge improvement and sport the newer lithium cells with a 9-10kw pack. The drivetrain made by Zero should be a nice upgrade as well. I think 110v will be a must as many owners won’t have 240v supply available at a spot where they want or need to charge the machine. But I do hope 220v is available as well. The first year models probably will have some bugs as will be a completely new machine. But I am excited to test drive one. I also hope Polaris does something to improve the suspension maintenance as I’m tired of disassembling everything to clean and re-grease bushings to quiet everything down. I did try the super Dave’s bushings with some improvements but still have issues. Currently I’m trying the new reformulated Lucas marine grease with Calcium Sulfonate. Its supposed to perform much better than the older lithium complex grease. Guess we see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have to agree with you sawtooth, the first year model will have bugs, all new vehicles have this issue, although they should be minimal with Zero driveline.

I wonder if they will utilise an on board charger with 110v-240volt platform, it'll make sense to cover world markets and faster charging for those that have higher voltage supplies.

i'm not sure how they would improve the bushings apart from designing poly bushes with grease nipples to push the old grease out, and leave the inside of the bushing clean and greased.

SxS see a lot of dirt, mud and sand, its hard job to keep them noise free

·
Registered
7 Posts
Polaris sent out an email titled "Introducing the 2022 RANGER lineup" without mentioning lithium or Zero driveline. The EV in that email uses lead-acid.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I would assume they’ve gotta have both because there’s gonna be a lot of people that can’t afford a 20k plus UTV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good find on the 2022 models

i guess they are going to continue the Ranger EV as the lead acid option and introduce the General EV Lithium option.

not a bad idea, people have options depending on their need and what $$$ they want to spend

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you saying you've seen an advertisement for an EV model Polaris General?
The 2022 EV polaris videos, that i linked show that it isn't a Ranger EV, well not looking like the current mid 2022 lineup

it almost looks like a General EV

·
Registered
30 Posts
I believe the new 2022 Ranger EV will be built on the Ranger XP 1000 platform. I am excited to hear about the Zero Motorcycles powertrain technology details.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts