Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on something and I need the help from members!!!!!!! I need to rig a 1999 Mustang GT (5 speed) with some sort of a hand operated clutch!!!!!!!!!!This is not a joke, and I need some real thought and no joking about this post! I am very serious about getting this done and I know there has to be a way to get this fixed for my Little Buddy, I will not be on the club for maybe a few days but post up and I will answer soon!!!

Josh, I think you are in this category, of smart people!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance!!
Mark

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am not sure if it makes a difference or not but, I think it is a '99 Cobra?? This project is for a young man that has lost his Right Leg to Cancer!!!!! I need help!!!!

Mark

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
poorfarmer said:
I am working on something and I need the help from members!!!!!!! I need to rig a 1999 Mustang GT (5 speed) with some sort of a hand operated clutch!!!!!!!!!!This is not a joke, and I need some real thought and no joking about this post! I am very serious about getting this done and I know there has to be a way to get this fixed for my Little Buddy, I will not be on the club for maybe a few days but post up and I will answer soon!!!

Josh, I think you are in this category, of smart people!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance!!
Mark

Hey thanks for the comment. I am thinking you could use the factory clutch and run a mechanism from the floor pedal with links to a shifter up to his left arm beside the seat. it could run on top of the floor board or under. You could have a machine shop fab up some y-links to connect it toether and for it to be durable. maybe with some teflon bushings. I have seen hand controls on jeeps for guys that are paralized. It can be done but it might take a little trial and error to get it right. My thought it to have a main link run across the floor board that connects to another link that would attach to the pedal. Then the other end of the link near the seat have another link made with a handle for pushing the clutch in. Now how is is going to shift,clutch and steer at the same time I don't know. The other thing would to make some type of air cylinder to hook to the pedal and it would have to have a quick bleed off to let the clutch out. You could then have a button on the steering wheel to push while shifting and steering. You cold buy a arb air pump and tank that would operate the small air cylinder. You can find them online. You would need to measure how many pounds it would take to press the clutch in and get a cylinder that would meet that. Let me know what you come up with.

Josh

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I am wondering about a throttle button on the gear shift and let him use his good leg on the clutch. However what about the brakes???????
By the way this young man is 23 and he is my wifes little Brother. He is like a son to us!! I cant stand to see him worry about being able to do these things!!

Mark

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Not for nothing Poorfarmer but I am having a hard time understanding why, with his apparent disabilities, we would throw a third pedal and hazzard into his alread tuff mission.

They do make mustangs with automatics and I wouldn't even try to rig something of this nature for him.

I guess I would be the spoiler here and just tell him if he wants to drive then get an auto tranny car.

I know we all want what we want but some thing just are not in the cards and we all have to live with it.

Gary

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have found a place in CA that does just what I am talking about...... It is expensive, but I will give him some time this summer to see if he can do it without mods..

Mark

·
Registered
31 Posts
not sure about this but is the clutch on that car hydraulic? if so, you might could move the hydraulic cylinder up to the dash area with a lever connected to it. just a thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts