Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to my owners manual for my RZR and I suspect the full size rangers are the same, When the AWD is turned on by the switch it only engages when the rear wheels slip. The book also says you can leave it in AWD all the time and it will do nothing unless the rear wheels loose traction.

I simply do not believe this or maybe I have something wrong in my AWD and would love to understand it.

When I plow I usually keep it in 2 wheel drive unless I get stuck or the snow is heavy and I am spinning the rears.

When I go into AWD I can feel a major difference in the steering. This difference seems to be that the two front wheels and axels are locked together and they fight each other when turning in either direction. It feels this way all the time when in AWD yet according to what the book says, AWD is not engaged unless the rears loose traction.

I honestly believe something else happens the minute you push the switch for AWD and it has nothing to do with traction of the rear wheels.

My feeling is that switch causes the two front axels to lock together immediately and stay locked as long as the switch is on. It is very possible that no power goes to the front axels until it senses the rears slipping but it sure feels different all the time when in AWD.

Would a few here please check this feeling out on your machines and report your findings here.

Have the switch in the off position on a hard surface and do a couple of tight circles in each direction, slow.

I feel no resistance up front when the switch is off.

Now do the same thing with the switch on. It feels on mine like the front two axels are locked.

Let me know what yours feels like as I might have a malfunction in my AWD system and the sensor could be keeping mine fully locked like it is feeling the rears slipping all the time.

Thanks

Gary

·
Registered
75 Posts
when the machine is locked in and u turn it senses the rear inside wheel slipping and the front will kick it. that is one reason on a polaris i dont use awd unless i am planning on going straight. with the pressure it creates on the front with the front diff locked something will give. usually being and cv just like josh's did.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a link and the break down of the Hilliard differential in our machines.

They give a pretty basic explanation of how it works but I honestly believe the sensor that feels the slip in the rear is a bit to sensative and keeps it locked when it shouldn't be.

http://www.hilliardcorp.com/view.php?id=FDS-1

I'm betting that when Josh's axel broke, his front end was in full lock and the axels were fighting against each other. POP they go!

Gary

·
Registered
507 Posts
Maybe if we all run slicks, it would not be an issue ;D

·
Registered
75 Posts
i still say that if polaris made a selectable locker for the front like the rear, it would be an even better machine. then u could keep it in "3 whee drive" while riding slick trail and lock it in when it gets really nasty.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep! Slick trails are always alot more fun in 2 WD anyway and especially if you learned to drive in a rear wheel drive vehicle like most of us senior members.

Buy a winch and use it instead of placing too much strain on your front differential and axel/CVs!

Gary

·
Registered
34 Posts
GRAZOR said:
Yep! Slick trails are always alot more fun in 2 WD anyway and especially if you learned to drive in a rear wheel drive vehicle like most of us senior members.

Buy a winch and use it instead of placing too much strain on your front differential and axel/CVs!

Gary
Gary....not being a pain here as I own an 08 AWD but if you don't want to use the front diff and use a winch why would we buy an AWD model? I have been using my AWD quite a bit in deep snow, mud, pulling heavy loads etc and with my fingers crossed I don't have any issues yet. I guess I don't see how using an AWD machine in AWD can be such a bad thing?

James

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not a pain at all James! AWD is a wonderfull thing and very valuable tool on our machines.

My point is to never use it when you have full traction as this is where things begin to get costly!

On snow or in other slippery conditions I doubt there will be any problems at all but do be careful when useing it if all wheels suddenly get a good grip. POP!

Gary

·
Registered
111 Posts
The selector on my 07 Ranger also has a position for....... SINGLE REAR WHEEL DRIVE.as well as 2WD, and AWD........something that the 1WD is for on Turf..I guess like if you're gonna use it for a golf cart :eek:

Most of the time...especially when it is wet..........mine will stay in AWD.........ever ridden in good old Gumbo/Buckshot mud.........that's the crap that holds the world together!!!! When ya walk on it, ya don't leave footprints.ya take em with ya, and after a good walk, ya weigh 50 pounds more and have grown 3 to 6 inches :D O0

and when it is dry, ya better watch out for cracks, cause you'll step in one and break a leg or ankle ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The selector on my 07 Ranger also has a position for....... SINGLE REAR WHEEL DRIVE.as well as 2WD, and AWD........something that the 1WD is for on Turf..I guess like if you're gonna use it for a golf cart :eek:

Most of the time...especially when it is wet..........mine will stay in AWD.........ever ridden in good old Gumbo/Buckshot mud.........that's the crap that holds the world together!!!! When ya walk on it, ya don't leave footprints.ya take em with ya, and after a good walk, ya weigh 50 pounds more and have grown 3 to 6 inches :D O0

and when it is dry, ya better watch out for cracks, cause you'll step in one and break a leg or ankle ;D ;D
I had a Yamaha Rhino that I used for yard/garden chores quite often. The lack of an open rear differential will destroy your lawn in a heartbeat if you have to make a sharp turn. Therefore the Turf Mode in the Ranger is a great feature to have, and has absolutely nothing to do with being a golf cart, but hey if you want to use your $12k+ machine as a golf cart so be it ;D.

·
Registered
127 Posts
...so what your saying is you drive till your stuck and then winch out, instead of just putting in AWD in the first place. drrrrrrrrr...... have fun getting stuck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
and everybody else will drive circles around you shaking their heads. I paid a lot of money for mine too and I'd rather not burn it out prematurely or the stator either, both of which burnt out on my last Sportsman. The winch is a "just in case" tool, not meant to be used because you're paranoid about breaking axles. The axles should be just fine, if one goes replace it with an aftermarket beefier one. EVERYTHING polaris makes, the aftermarket makes BETTER.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
and everybody else will drive circles around you shaking their heads. I paid a lot of money for mine too and I'd rather not burn it out prematurely or the stator either, both of which burnt out on my last Sportsman. The winch is a "just in case" tool, not meant to be used because you're paranoid about breaking axles. The axles should be just fine, if one goes replace it with an aftermarket beefier one. EVERYTHING polaris makes, the aftermarket makes BETTER.
Sarcasm at its best, and you couldn't even tell. I'm doing a pretty damn good job.

So everything Polaris Makes the aftermarket makes better, so what aftermarket UTV is better than a Polaris? :D

I had the multi-mount winch on my Rhino and the only thing it ever got used for was raising and lowering the plow. Never had an issue with getting stuck, and hardly ever needed the 4WD.

I can't imagine the Polaris AWD system not being able to at least keep it moving in nasty conditions, although some are reporting issues with the rear ends of the 900's wanting to kick out and try and pass the front end but, I've had trucks do that as well so wouldn't be anything new to me. I like the design of the Ranger, and I love the turf mode option, so I'd go with a Ranger over anything else. I also vaguely remember Polaris used to build a 2WD Ranger as well several years ago.

Aren't most of the axle failures, regardless of make and model usually a result of having larger tires and/or wheels? I wouldn't think there would be a problem to much in stock form though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've never had an axle failure with stock size tires and only know one person who has.

Sorry for the argument I've had a bad taste for my Ranger since we got it. I might just go back to ATVs in the future if after a few more mods I can't get myself to enjoy the Ranger for what it is.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I've never had an axle failure with stock size tires and only know one person who has.

Sorry for the argument I've had a bad taste for my Ranger since we got it. I might just go back to ATVs in the future if after a few more mods I can't get myself to enjoy the Ranger for what it is.
So what exactly are your issues making you hate the Ranger? I had a Rhino, and got to do a test run of a Ranger 900 for about a week while a friend was out of town. Huge night and day difference between a 10+ year old design and the Polaris. Never again will I look at a Yamaha, well course after 2 bad deals with the Yamaha (GE Capital) finance company didn't help either. The Ranger is just setup better for what I want to use a UTV for.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The number 1 issue was the dealer we bought it from trying to deny warranty work.

Then it goes as such:
-no high beams
-thin seat that bottoms out when anyone 130lbs or more sits on it
-seat belts that lock and stay locked, cant breathe in these dumb things
-roll bar I keep whacking my head on
-2" 5000lb receiver hitch that drops so low with an empty trailer on it I cant use the tounge wheel..... and only a 1000lb tow rating
-The seat gets so hot it burns the passengers legs
-Fuel gauge super inaccurate
-no backup recoil/pull start
-weak stator (nothing new there)
-intermittent winch operation, dealer installed, they told me to tighten the nuts they never tightened. They found the problem while it was in the shop but didn't fix it.
-bad fuel pump right from delivery - again the dealer, had it in 2 times under warranty and they claimed nothing wrong. It died on me and was always hard to start. I had to make some unreal serious threats to get them to fix it.... after warranty expired. The first 9 months we owned it, it was in the shop for 2 months and in storage for 4 months with them telling me the problems were in my head.

Pile all that up, and it left a rotten taste I'm having trouble getting rid of.

I did order some 2400 lumen LED lights for the front, and a slimline LED for the rear so that will take care of my lighting issues. This summer I'm upgrading tires to some 1.25 lug Vampires, that should take care of my traction problem. I put heat tape under the seat to help with the burning of legs and thighs. The seat belts are horrible, not sure what to do there. The pass side is worse than the driver side. I thought I might take the belts out of my old Chev and put them in the Ranger, we'll see if thats doable.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The number 1 issue was the dealer we bought it from trying to deny warranty work.

Then it goes as such:
-no high beams
-thin seat that bottoms out when anyone 130lbs or more sits on it
-seat belts that lock and stay locked, cant breathe in these dumb things
-roll bar I keep whacking my head on
-2" 5000lb receiver hitch that drops so low with an empty trailer on it I cant use the tounge wheel..... and only a 1000lb tow rating
-The seat gets so hot it burns the passengers legs
-Fuel gauge super inaccurate
-no backup recoil/pull start
-weak stator (nothing new there)
-intermittent winch operation, dealer installed, they told me to tighten the nuts they never tightened. They found the problem while it was in the shop but didn't fix it.
-bad fuel pump right from delivery - again the dealer, had it in 2 times under warranty and they claimed nothing wrong. It died on me and was always hard to start. I had to make some unreal serious threats to get them to fix it.... after warranty expired. The first 9 months we owned it, it was in the shop for 2 months and in storage for 4 months with them telling me the problems were in my head.

Pile all that up, and it left a rotten taste I'm having trouble getting rid of.

I did order some 2400 lumen LED lights for the front, and a slimline LED for the rear so that will take care of my lighting issues. This summer I'm upgrading tires to some 1.25 lug Vampires, that should take care of my traction problem. I put heat tape under the seat to help with the burning of legs and thighs. The seat belts are horrible, not sure what to do there. The pass side is worse than the driver side. I thought I might take the belts out of my old Chev and put them in the Ranger, we'll see if thats doable.
Thanks for the reply, sounds more dealer related as far as getting issues solved. I found a pretty good dealer as a matter of fact the guy that owns this dealership actually sold me my Rhino. He moved away from the Yamaha Dealer because of the issues I had mentioned, and similar issues as yours, dealership tried blaming all problems on the owner not the machine, or the shop's lack of paying attention to detail.

Only a 1,000lb towing capacity? I thought the Rangers were rated for 2,000lbs, or at least the full size models, what gives? That's less capacity than the Rhino was that I had at 1200lbs.

Will be interesting to see if those other seatbelts work. Even the ones in my Rhino would get stuck and you couldn't move at times, so as a result the seatbelts hardly were used, I'd rather be able to get out of the damn machine then get stuck in it, plus what I used my machine for if I flipped it over I had to be really doing something extraordinarily stupid to roll it at 15mph.

Sounds like pretty standard across the board issues, even my Rhino had some of the same issues your Ranger has. You hook up to a trailer and the tongue better be light enough to pick up because you can't use the trailer tongue jack, headlights sucked in my Rhino even on high beam. My multi-mount winch hardly got used, but it was mainly to operate the snow plow which was a completely separate mess, of which the plow ended up being scrapped. Whoever had the idea of using push tubes where you had to crawl under the machine and wrestle with the stupid plow for 20-30 minutes to get the tubes to line up to install the pins was ridiculous so the plow got used once then the whole machine went back to the bank after several months of fighting with them over supposed late payments, and refusing to change the due date by 3 days to compensate for a change in jobs. Then attempting to just pay off the loan onto my credit card, they refused, then attempted to do a payoff with a bank drawn check, they refused. So needless to say, Yamaha and their worthless financing department left me no choice but to permanently say goodbye to their products.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts