Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to jump start my 07 Ranger XP. With a nice spark at the positive battery terminal, something popped. After starting over with a fully charged battery, there appears to be no current to the ignition/electrical systems. At least when I turn the key to the first on position, absolutely nothing happens. What is the most likely thing I'll need to replace because I blew it up? I've read a service manual and see reference to the Solid State Circuit Breaker outputs where it says if an overload or short circuit occurs the battery protected output turns off. then it says "Cycling the switch will rest the output." - I have no idea how to do that. Would very much appreciate any advise - thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,250 Posts
I've been called allot of things but electrician-NEVER!

Hope some others chime in here but I have found with many of these newer model machines, disconnecting the battery completely and allowing the system to reset it self sometimes works. Kind of like rebooting the system.

I also don't know your machine but it is possible the electrical system could have a large main breaker or fusible link you might have blown.

Good luck and do let us know what you find.

Gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
I think you might have popped a fuse or 2. You need a check light or a volt meter. Do a simple check at the battery to test your light or meter. Then work your way to the system. Since some things will not have power going to it without the ignition on go ahead and leave the ignition turned on. There is 3 fuses to the left under the hood. Check those. If those are good check the relays.

Let me know what you get and we will go from there.

Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
GreyJay said:
I tried to jump start my 07 Ranger XP. With a nice spark at the positive battery terminal, something popped. After starting over with a fully charged battery, there appears to be no current to the ignition/electrical systems. At least when I turn the key to the first on position, absolutely nothing happens. What is the most likely thing I'll need to replace because I blew it up? I've read a service manual and see reference to the Solid State Circuit Breaker outputs where it says if an overload or short circuit occurs the battery protected output turns off. then it says "Cycling the switch will rest the output." - I have no idea how to do that. Would very much appreciate any advise - thanks.
I agree w/ Caglezxj it could be as simple a blown fuse. What concerns me is your comment about the "nice spark". Your battery must have been completely drained & something electrical is shorted which is discharging the battery. I recall reading in the 2008 manual that cycling the key switch would allow you access to your computer settings. Did you get a nice spark when you connected the fresh battery? If so you definetley have an electrical short.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, everyone, for weighing in. Turns out you can unhook one battery cable to get the reset, as was suggested in your comments. I was still getting power when I turned the key to the "on" position, but it would cut out when I turned the key to start. I'd have to unhook the cable again to get it to reset. Just turning the key off, then on, would not work - there would be no power. Oddly enough, although I thought I was making good contact at the positive terminal each time I experimented with this, making sure the bolt was tight, I apparently had poor contact. About the fourth time I went through this process, with my neighbor mechanic looking over my shoulder, everything worked like a charm. He thought that was pretty funny. I'm thinking that the contact point looked clean, but wasn't quite clean enough. So, it was tight, but not just right. Seems a little too touchy. Again, thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
I am glad you figured it out. When I have the cables off I normally scratch the contact points with a knife to get it clean and shiny. Good Job! O0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,250 Posts
I do the same every time I have a battery connection off. I keep a piece of plumbers emry cloth in my kit and clean both the battery terminal and both sides of the connectors. You can also buy a can of spray paint stuff called battery terminal protector at Napa. It is purple gunk but it works great.

Glad we could help or at least give it a shot at helping and that you are up and running again.

Gary
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top