Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 3rd Polaris UTV so I'm obviously a Polaris fan. My new 2021 XP 1000 would not start. Just finally used that second tank of gas (break in period) so this machine is very new. Battery is located under the passenger seat and had exploded from dust getting into the compartment. This design is absolute BS. The battery compartment is open in the back (towards the engine) allowing all kinds of dust to get on the battery. Polaris won't help since I didn't take it to the dealer that is 65 miles away. My ranch is in a remote area- who would take the time and the money to haul their brand new machine to the dealer? I'm pissed. Not only do I have to create some kind of wall in the back (hello- this is a ranch and there's loads of dust and hay and whatnot) to protect the damn battery I also am out 200 bucks for the new battery.
Anyone else has this happen? Thanks for reading this rant.

·
Super Moderator
2,518 Posts
I did a search for 'what is the main cause for battery explosions'.
It isn't dust.
A loose or corroded connection or bad battery or improper charging rate seem to be the main ones.
So your ranch is in Hawaii?

·
Registered
2017 Ranger Crew Northstar 6" lift 15" wheels with 32's
46 Posts
I found one article that said "dirty posts and cables" is the most common cause. If that is the case, mine could explode any minute. But here is a link that says that. That being said it seems like something else must be going on with that battery or electrical system to cause an explosion?

"The most common cause of battery explosions upon start-up is dirty battery posts and cables, says Sam Memmolo, a master mechanic in Douglasville, Ga., and a nationally recognized automotive repair expert. The dirt prevents a good connection and allows electrical arcing. So it is a good idea to inspect and clean battery posts regularly."
How to Avoid Battery Explosions (Yes, They Really Happen)

That battery compartment is definitely pretty open under my Polaris rear seat too! I have been poking around in there and my battery was covered in mud and dirt. I was going to replace the battery but I couldn't read the size or number. I had to wipe the mud and road salt residue off and I wiped off the battery information too, so that is a problem! I have never had one explode and I have had some awfully dirty batteries, including the one in my Polaris right now. I am going to clean the terminals off for sure, as they looked pretty dirty and corroded.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When they say ""The most common cause of battery explosions upon start-up is dirty battery posts and cables, says Sam Memmolo, a master mechanic in Douglasville, Ga., and a nationally recognized automotive repair expert. The dirt prevents a good connection and allows electrical arcing. So it is a good idea to inspect and clean battery posts regularly." He is saying dirt between the post and the connector, not random dirt on top of a battery. the only way dirt can get between the post and cable is if it is loose in the first place!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I put a full size car battery on mine , far better , winch doesn't flinch.

Fires easy

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Can you show a picture of your installation? did you have to modify the battery tray?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Can you show a picture of your installation? did you have to modify the battery tray?
Some you do, just did friends 570 mid size ,
Put a stainless batter tray in it with full hold downs .
Had to buy 2 longer battery cable.

You can mount optima on it's side if you have to .

Didn't need to though

·
Registered
46 Posts
Some you do, just did friends 570 mid size ,
Put a stainless batter tray in it with full hold downs .
Had to buy 2 longer battery cable.

You can mount optima on it's side if you have to .

Didn't need to though

sounds like a good upgrade.

·
Registered
141 Posts
One point to remember on optima battery , they do not vent gas, they will not explode, they will not cause corrosion.

I run them on everything possible.

They are pricey, but well worth it in long run

·
Registered
46 Posts
QUOTE="Spaz, post: 238238, member: 11620"]
I wouldn't replace with a polaris battery. Find the equivalent Odyssey battery and never look back.
[/QUOTE]
Just to help anyone who has the same battery in their polaris, the battery in my polaris is 8" long 6 3/4" wideand 7" high it looks like the Odysey replacement is an ODS-AGM42MJA. If that doesn't work I will try the Optima yellow top install.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts