Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 Polaris razor 800 loses its battery charge after approx 1 hr or so of riding time. Less if your going slower on trails where the cooling fan kicks on more frequently or when running the lights at night. The battery indicator light starts flashing and soon after the efi starts acting up (spitting &sputtering) and soon after won't run. I have had the battery checked ( only 1 yr old) by the battery manufacturer ( interstate) and tests fine. I've had the razor in on three (3) occasions at the local Polaris shop in ft Collins and they claim everything checks out fine. If I let the razor sit after recharging the battery ( even for a month plus) it will still start fine and battery test fine but after time running as stated above will lose charge and stop running. Is there a way to check the charging system? What else could be causing this? I get no error codes when running diagnostics.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have no idea what you problem might be BUT I am surprised the dealer is not willing to find the problem. Why don't they drive the machine and observe the problem? Instead of testing things and hoping it will pop up and bite them. Sounds like you are giving your business to the wrong dealer.

A great majority of dealers do not invest in the service part of the business, its the case around my area. All dealerships have people that have only a few years experience and mostly concentrate on selling services as opposed to solving customer problems. If you go in there with problem they will try to sell you a oil change or check up etc to get a $ out of you. Probably why most have changed hands several times in the last 10-20 yrs, every new owner thinks he bought a gold mine and is going to get rich.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
My 2008 Polaris razor 800 loses its battery charge after approx 1 hr or so of riding time. Less if your going slower on trails where the cooling fan kicks on more frequently or when running the lights at night. The battery indicator light starts flashing and soon after the efi starts acting up (spitting &sputtering) and soon after won't run. I have had the battery checked ( only 1 yr old) by the battery manufacturer ( interstate) and tests fine. I've had the razor in on three (3) occasions at the local Polaris shop in ft Collins and they claim everything checks out fine. If I let the razor sit after recharging the battery ( even for a month plus) it will still start fine and battery test fine but after time running as stated above will lose charge and stop running. Is there a way to check the charging system? What else could be causing this? I get no error codes when running diagnostics.
I agree that it sounds like a charging problem. Test the voltage on the battery terminals with the engine off, then crank the engine and test again. If it is properly charging, the voltage should increase up to 13-14 volts. If you see no increase or see a decrease in voltage, it is definitely not charging.

Russ

·
Registered
2 Posts

You also check your lights they might put extra pressure on battery

·
Registered
65 Posts
Its definitely a charging problem, so have every part of the system checked. This kind of problem only occurs this way when the battery is being drained faster than it can be charged. You may need a dual battery setup if you are running a lot of accessories. There are some good high power batteries here if you decide to go that route.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts