Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2007 XP 700 that doesn't seem to be charging the battery. I'm using it for short trips so it is seeing a lot of starting and stopping. It's never idling for more than a minute.

For the past couple of months, I've been having to charge the battery manually with a charger because it won't start. The battery charges easily with an external charger and the thing starts fine. It works well for several weeks until it starts having trouble starting. I charge the battery and the cycle continues.

I'm suspecting a faulty charging system (Alternator, etc). Is there an easy way to diagnose this and isolate the alternator?

·
Registered
283 Posts
pull the battery and see if its shot first, then stick a multi meter on the machine (battery installed) and see what your reading.. this is where i would start... also consider your machines a 07, is the battery original ? I just replaced a second battery (i have dual battery system) and i know the battery i replaced wasnt two years old..

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Sounds like the battery is going. The type of use you describe isn't great for the battery.

With the battery in the machine and connected, crank the engine and let it run while you check the DC voltage across the battery terminals. It should be more than 12 volts... maybe as high as 13 or so. If you read more than 12 volts, then it's probably the battery, not the charging system.

It may be charging quickly with an external charger because it's losing its life (fast charge, fast discharge).

I have an '06 and when I got it in March 2011, it was on its second battery. The battery didn't have much use on it (the machine only had 12 hours on it), but it wouldn't hold a charge very well. I bit the bullet and bought a gel-cell for it and that one's been doing fine. Might be the best route for you...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checking it today

Got the charger on it to at least get it started. I'll put the meter on it to see. It's actually my second battery.

I'll probably buy another battery regardless. You recommend a gel cell?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Voltage on battery when running

I charged the battery and it started as usual. I put a meter on the terminals and read 12.08V at idle. I revved engine and still read 12.08V.

Could it be the charging system after all?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I kept forgetting to do this, but I finally did today. With the Ranger idling at about 900-1,000 RPM, my multi-meter read 14.38 volts DC. I didn't rev while testing, since it was clearly working well. So you may have a problem after all, as you said.

Don't know what you should check next, except connections. Problems like this often occur due to poor/dirty connections. Check especially where the negative wire attaches to the body and/or terminal block, and both of the connections to the battery. Then expand from there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hopefully it's not the magneto going bad. You could always try to get the battery reconditioned. I have heard it can extend the life. As for the gel cell option... i love my optima yellow top. I strongly suggest investing in that when you make your next purchase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the discussion. The connections were already clean, but I burnished them regardless. I'm still getting the same 12.08v on the terminals when it's running.

Can you point me to where the alternator or charging mechanism is?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I don't have a manual for the 2007 700, but my manual covers the 2007 500. Trouble shooting says that if the batt isn't charging, "the cause may be the PDM, wire harness, battery, or fusible link." The PDM is the power distribution module.

It probably has a stator underneath the engine flywheel, which produces AC power when the engine is running. A rectifier/regulator changes it to DC power and regulates the voltage. That is a pretty standard way for small engines to charge batteries.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll get under there this weekend. I've got a Sea Doo that needed a new rectifier. Looks like it's time to go in deep.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same issue, not the battery but voltage regulator was bad,changed it out myself took a whole 10 minutes! Part cost me 110.00 dollars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts