Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's time to replace the 5+ year old batteries in my 2014 Ranger EV. I've taken exceptional care of the lead batteries by running it on a regular basis and maintaining the water levels and the batteries lasted longer than I expected. Now comes the time where I ask the question : Do I replace with a dry battery deep cycle ( no water maintenance ) or do I replace with the same stock deep cycle batteries that require water maintenance ? Does anyone have ex with the maintenance free batteries ? Lithium Ion isn't an option at this point.

Also, when changing out is it straight forward or are there any tricks that I need to be aware of ?

Thanks,
/ Muddawg

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
If you are referring to AGM, absorbed glass mat batteries along with Voltronix, I have installed Full River AGM DC150-12 batteries in 4 Rangers. The owners are well pleased, actually more than pleased. AGM requires a different algorithm to be changed in the charger. For Full River it is 51 which is a temperature compensated algorithium Suggested by Full River. My only one con is the batteries are 1” taller and the storage trays touch the OEM battery brackets. Couple owners didn’t care snd the other 2 in used 1.25” flat bar with a strip of neoprene rubber to protect the battery and used the same bolts except used SS and all thread rod cut to length. That was about 4 months ago. Prices are up now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info . I'll most likely go with the AGM V Max for the replacement. Other than checking the cables for corrosion and changing the algarithium on the charger let me know if there are any other recommendations.

/MD

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, it's time to replace the 5+ year old batteries in my 2014 Ranger EV. I've taken exceptional care of the lead batteries by running it on a regular basis and maintaining the water levels and the batteries lasted longer than I expected. Now comes the time where I ask the question : Do I replace with a dry battery deep cycle ( no water maintenance ) or do I replace with the same stock deep cycle batteries that require water maintenance ? Does anyone have ex with the maintenance free batteries ? Lithium Ion isn't an option at this point.

Also, when changing out is it straight forward or are there any tricks that I need to be aware of ?

Thanks,
/ Muddawg
I think that the V Max could be the battery of choice. An uncle told me a couple of months ago that one worked pretty well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the info . I'll most likely go with the AGM V Max for the replacement. Other than checking the cables for corrosion and changing the algarithium on the charger let me know if there are any other recommendations.

/MD
I have a 2017 Ranger EV and I have not been so good about keeping the water topped up, so I expect I will be replacing my batteries in the next year or so. Watering the batteries is no fun, at all. Just wondering whether you went with the AGM V Max, and how the project went. If you have a few minutes it would be awesome if you could upload photos of how well they fit and what issues you ran into. Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts

Thanks,
/ Muddawg
Can you share how many hrs yours has done please? Have you replace yet an are you happy so far?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts