Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I am about to go on a trip and decided to change my belt. I have felt mine slip before and thought this would be a good idea. After removing the belt I noticed there was a piece missing. I will use this belt as a spare until I can get a new spare. I think the belt had issues from the factory. It is only a couple months old also. Here is a few pictures removing the belt.

Remove Side Storage

Remove Belt Cover. Notice the Big Pulley. You will need to start the belt over this end. Once it is started begin rotaing the pulley. Watch your fingers and don't get them pinched.

Here is a picture of the clutch.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Noticed that the belt cover had some wear from the Big Pulley. I took a few pictures of it.

Here is a picture of the bad belt.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Looks like you found it just in time. Usually these problems show up when you 10 miles of the main road.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, and with that in mind I had to change it!lol I have been there done that and learned from it. If I cold take and afford a spare ranger I would. I always carry to much extra stuff just in case something goes wrong.

Josh

·
Registered
104 Posts
With the cord hanging out from the side of the belt this is a good indication that the clutches may need to be aligned.

·
Registered
635 Posts
So after removing the cover then what did you do... Meaning how tough was it from there...

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was not hard. If you are removing or installing you will have to put the belt on the small pulley first then roll it over the big pulley. Removing it you just start removing it over the big pulley. It will get a little tight but just roll the big pulley and it will slip right on.

Josh

·
Registered
477 Posts
My belt is slipping and the guy at the dealership today told me on the phone that if Polaris suspects I have gone up hills in high gear they will not honor the warranty. I'm chewin' nails!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have found that all warranty work revolve 100% around the dealers willingness to step up..

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cathead77 said:
My belt is slipping and the guy at the dealership today told me on the phone that if Polaris suspects I have gone up hills in high gear they will not honor the warranty. I'm chewin' nails!
This is your word against there's . I would push the issue with them. And if you purchased it from them I would push harder. I have heard of to many belt issues with the ranger. They need to stand behind it. I would like to see a company come out with a direct drive for them. That would be awesome.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Well, one of my sons-in-law is a lawyer, and he has made things happen for me more than once. I also just spent over $800.00 for the 3 year extended warranty. Gonna be some stuff fly if they don't fix this problem under warranty. Direct drive sounds good.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yes, I just changed my first belt at about 55 hours....it was a high gear issue in the mud. The dealer says stay in low in the mud and I won't burn up a belt.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thats one of the biggest problems we see in our service. Put it in low in mud or on hills. Normal driving in high. I would also take it up with the dealer. They can make a happy repeat customer or a mad one that will never buy from them again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts