Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
man have I had a bad day, I was doing an oil change on my ranger 1000 today and after I finished I cranked up my ranger to reset the service light and I heard dripping. I turned off the engine as soon as I heard it. turns out it was oil going everywhere so now I need to find out why all my oil was dumped out on the ground in a matter of seconds of starting my engine. It looks to be coming from below the oil filter but I can't find exactly where it could be coming from, I will put some pictures down below. the first picture is where the oil looks to be coming from. I took off the crankcase vent as you can see in the picture but that is not it, the second is the oil that spilled after I started the engine I had to use a LOT of oil dry.
please reply if you know anything, thanks!
IMG_2986.jpg
IMG_2987.jpg

Attachments

· Registered
26 Posts
Hard to believe but I had this same issue on a Detroit Diesel many years ago on a Tug Boat. I pulled the filter and upon inspection of the gasket I found a slit in it. Luckily I found the leak right off the bat and lost maybe a quart of oil into the bilge.

· Registered
1 Posts
Before I do any engine work typically I start with a clean dry engine (gunk or all purpose cleaner and rinse off) then when I do the oil change, it is less of a chance of getting sand or dirt where it doesn't belong plus you can see oil leaks better.

· Registered
30 Posts
thank you, I did that and now it stopped leaking oil I don't know what was the problem but it's fixed for now.
thanks!
First of all, if you could "hear it dripping" while it was running, you have better ears than me.
I would NOT count on it being "fixed" until you find where it came from. Serious issue and you need to find the leak before you dump the oil while riding it and ruin engine. Something isn't right.
Myself, I suspect the filter, the filter seal, debris between the filter seal and the base, or the filter base, since this happened when you changed it.
If it were me, I'd pull that filter and replace it with a new one, and I'd get mirrors and light, or whatever, to get a GOOD look at the filter base and the surrounding area before you put the new one on. These things don't "fix' themselves in my experiences.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Before I do any engine work typically I start with a clean dry engine (gunk or all purpose cleaner and rinse off) then when I do the oil change, it is less of a chance of getting sand or dirt where it doesn't belong plus you can see oil leaks better.
First of all, if you could "hear it dripping" while it was running, you have better ears than me.
I would NOT count on it being "fixed" until you find where it came from. Serious issue and you need to find the leak before you dump the oil while riding it and ruin engine. Something isn't right.
Myself, I suspect the filter, the filter seal, debris between the filter seal and the base, or the filter base, since this happened when you changed it.
If it were me, I'd pull that filter and replace it with a new one, and I'd get mirrors and light, or whatever, to get a GOOD look at the filter base and the surrounding area before you put the new one on. These things don't "fix' themselves in my experiences.
thank you for the comment i did look at the oil filter base and cleaned it and cleaned the oil filter and put new oil on it and let it idle for 10 min. and there was no oil. thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts