Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I want to install a bigger battery on my ranger. I just recently added a radio, rock lights, and a winch. The current battery doesn’t like the winch at all. Maybe the battery is just getting old. Its already been upgraded to a 550 CCA, but I’d like to go even bigger...Is there any harm in upgrading to an even bigger battery? Will it hurt the ECU?

·
Super Moderator
2,294 Posts
No, it wont hurt anything.
A battery is like a storage tank. You only have to replace what you used out of it to fill it back up.
A bigger one means you have more reserve but no matter the size if your running load exceeds the charge rate it takes longer to fill it back up and if you use it up quicker than the stator or alternator can fill it back up and you shut it off before it is full you will eventually run out of juice. Unlike a gas tank a battery does not like being less than full when it isn't being used because it causes sulfating of the plates which shortens its life. So, if you want a larger battery that is great but when you park it you probably need to put a maintainer or charger on it to fill it back up and keep it full.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it wont hurt anything.
A battery is like a storage tank. You only have to replace what you used out of it to fill it back up.
A bigger one means you have more reserve but no matter the size if your running load exceeds the charge rate it takes longer to fill it back up and if you use it up quicker than the stator or alternator can fill it back up and you shut it off before it is full you will eventually run out of juice. Unlike a gas tank a battery does not like being less than full when it isn't being used because it causes sulfating of the plates which shortens its life. So, if you want a larger battery that is great but when you park it you probably need to put a maintainer or charger on it to fill it back up and keep it full.
Thanks, Rockit. Just went to the parts house and they don’t have a bigger battery that will fit my box. The battery box has already been modified for a car battery. I let them test my old battery, and apparently it is bad. Gonna pick up a new battery today! Hoping that’ll fix the problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts