Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Go fishing, go hunting, go skiing, go whale watching, wash the car, fly a kite. My mother told me many years ago things aren't boring people are.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Huuuum... Interesting.

I live in Cally and have drastically reduced my outdoor activities! Over regulation basically. Literally discontinued hunting years ago as I almost caught several bullets fired at me via a simi-auto no-brains behind the weapon.

Honestly, after spending 30 days camping in Oregon with resident friends, a time I still have yet to push aside as just another memory, I had a most excellent time exploring the back-roads and small trails hardly ever seeing another rider, driver, even one of those Green Govment trucks lurking about... The rest hunted while I used my only big game getter, a Cannon 5D and a small video recorder. I felt really free... the smells, the fresh breeze, the sound of the wind flowing through the tall pines, the forever green growth similar to that of an Island, cave-like, almost dark, yet very much day. The light to moderate rain, low clouds. The spawning salmon run, the hawks, other flying friends here and about.

I envy you sir. I wish I could move to that region, but sadly, my wife does not want to go there.

<<<>>>

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Seems everyone around here just goes and does their own thing they're not exactly into getting a bunch of people together to do stuff. I know when I go up to the mountains the last thing i want is a bunch of people around.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Misunderstood

I wasn't saying that the northwest is boring, just saying there isn't alot of riders that are on this forum. Everything I read is about guys from back east. Want to know more rides/events in my our area.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I located some folks who wanted others to join them for a ride. But after learning more, discovered they were totally new to the sport as well as very citified. Read elderly...

I was hoping to find another willing to chase down a few Jack rabbits (Meaning speed) as well as taking on a moderate trail or two...

I might upset some in here but honestly is just what it is, I passed on following up on the contact number.

You do bring up an interesting ideal we all strive for in our working years. On the job all we did was plan outtings consisting of 10 to 15 all having mostly jeeps, a few Broncos, a Ford Ranger or two, then of course the older Toyota pickups. As the years flew by, retirement came along and whammo! All is gone, all has either died, sick, left this broken state, or? Get this? Stay home and watch their HD plasma TV and play internet games.:eek:

It seems only folks with large families and friends from the job are camping in small to large groups here in the Greater Mojave dessert enjoying their off-highway toys. I go alone. Ride alone, visit others (along the trail) when I have an opportunity as it is accepted as long as you do not impose in anyway. I may make some upset in here and I expect a Doctor Phil or two chiming in to offer brotherly advice, possibly even counseling as that seems to be the fix-it all to one's lack of human interactive skills.

On the other-hand, it can get dicy not knowing who and what type the other guy/group is? I feel in my mind anyway, weather we talk about Jeeps, or UTVs, it is so much like almost finding a life-partner... Just ask any young bright mature single person, possibly you'll be able to link the two together.

The vast majority travel great distances to reach our dessert, San Francisco, Stockton, Greater Los Angeles. This includes multi-million dollar rigs complete with huge big screen theaters! No expense spared! It has gotten crazy to me anyway, as when I was a teen, rarely did anyone venture out to the dessert...

... Now its become an urban sprawl, only on wheels.???

Sorry... I strayed a bit.

I just realized I horned in on this thread as I am not from any of the states above, HOWEVER? Under thirty, even in some cases (?) in my opinion are pretty much in a bind all over the country, not just here in California.

<<<>>

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I keep to myself when I'm out, and I don't travel too far from home due to funding, and I no longer have an ATV or UTV so I hardly go anywhere at all anymore. When you go from a $3k a month job to a $600 a month job you have to compromise A LOT. I used to stop and talk to people out on the trails when I would go up camping but other than that everyone kept to themselves.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Wow, can't believe how boring this Northwest area is, hope it gets better.
I have lived in the Northwest for most of the time. The only time I got bored, I had a malfunction while skydiving. After cutting away and opening my reserve, all's I had was a non-steerable reserve. Talk about boring, all that I could do was just sit there until I got back to the ground. The next time I thought I should take a book to read or something. I almost got bored once with my RZR, I was backing down a hill that I could not quite climb and for some reason the brakes did not work, so all's I was, was a passenger. But after awhile, I realized what I felt was not boredom but panic. Life is what it is.

·
Registered
442 Posts
We relocated from our home of 10 years in Wyoming. It took me about 2 months to figure out that people here are different and that nobody was going to find me. So I went looking and we now have about 35 or 40 people we ride with. Get off your hiner and go look, people in this sport are of the 'more the marrier' mindset and would love to have one more ride in the pack! (unless they're jackasses)

·
Registered
31 Posts
fires

I know this post is old but if your bored then I'm sure the fires are keeping you on your toes now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
367, Slacker is right. Also go on the RZR forum. I have hooked up with some great people on rides here in Oregon. You already have something in common. There are Many rides and Jamborees to go to. Just went to Dunefest. (crazy) but fun. One thing I noticed when visiting Idaho, (near garden valley) Was all the UTVs heading up there. Also people were driving them into town to eat. Awesome. I see some rides in eastern Oregon and western Idaho sometimes. You are probably closer than me. I want to head over that way to explore some ghost towns and mines sometime next spring. Do some more looking. Check out some mags. Dirt wheels lists a lot of jamborees. And UTV Magazine. There are Several you could travel to. You can also invite others to go with you by posting where and when you are going riding. I will occasionally invite someone to go with me as a passenger. Three of them are now into atv/UTVs. If you ever head this way hit me up.... Roscoe, Do you ever ride in the Gorman area? Second largest ATV area in the state.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts